𝟬𝟭𝟳 a sea of chaos

Start from the beginning

She always dreamed of leaving Outer Banks and travelling world. Sure, she had gone for some week long vacations in certain areas, but she never truly got to see the world. She dreamed of backpacking across Europe with Juno at her side, or spend a weekend in Mexico, or even travel through the outback of Australia. There was so many places she wanted to see, but school always seemed to get in the way. Maybe she could live out her dream after graduation.

     Then there was the important stuff. For example, college. Nova never really thought about going to college before, like, yeah, she had good grades, but since she never really knew what she wanted to do, Nova never gave college a real thought. It was never even something that crossed her mind, until now, that is. Truth is, even though Nova could list a million things that she would do with the earnings in her head, she never really knew the answer to that question until she was holding the heavy chunk of gold in the palm of her hand.

     That was all that ran through her head whilst she sat in the back of the Volkswagen, her eyes focused on the chunk of deformed gold placed in her hand, an unfortunate turn of events when Kiara tried melting it down earlier the same day. Nova couldn't believe she was holding real freaking gold in her bare hands, her eyes still glistening with amazement with disbelief still evident in her features. There was no denying the rush she felt when holding the gold. Even as a Kook, the girl has never seen gold up close like this before, so it was pretty surreal. Well, that was just Nova's opinion. She couldn't speak for rest of her friends.

     Nova was then dragged out of her thoughts and back to reality when John B parked the van outside of a dodgy looking pawnshop, her weary eyes peering out the windows of the vehicle with so much uncertainty. There was no denying the place gave her bad vibes.

     The girl spared the building one last look and handed the gold over to JJ, the pair smiling at one another for a short moment, her hand brushing against his as they exchanged a few glances. This caused for chills to run up Nova's spine, whilst JJ was quick to look away from the girl, flashbacks of their little moment at the beach still lingering in his mind. JJ couldn't exactly get over it. The thought still constantly gnawed on his brain, a part of him still wondering what made him impulsively pull away when all he wanted to do was close that gap between them both.

     However, JJ wasn't given the chance to dwell on it, before he sighed to himself and pulled the side door open. He was the first to climb out of the van, a scoff escaping past his lips whilst he wrapped the gold up in a cloth. "Hell of a job melting it down, Dr Frankenstein." He chimed, his voice dripping in sarcasm whilst he glanced over at Kiara.

     Kiara rolled her eyes in response to JJ's remark. "Like you could've done better." She muttered under her breath, but loud enough for the rest of them to hear.

     "I could have done better." JJ retorted, shooting Kiara an irritated glance, whilst Nova and the others begin to get out of the van, now surrounding the bickering pair. "I took a welding class."

     JJ's words were more than enough to make Kiara square up to the boy, folding her arms over her chest. "When?" She questioned.

     "Whoa, whoa, whoa..." John B warned, coming in between the two as they continued to squabble back and forth like a pair of children. Nova couldn't help but hold back the laughter that threatened to escape past her lips, whilst she stood next to Sarah, amusement evident in her eyes. John B then turned to glance over at JJ. "Hey, chill out, okay?"

     "Easy for you to say. You're not the one that has to pawn this piece of shit off." JJ explained, gesturing towards the chunk of gold in his hand, before he began to walk ahead with another annoyed sigh ringing through the air. "How did I get this job anyway?" The blond questioned.