Everybody Loves My Baby

Start from the beginning

"Second thoughts, Miss Shelby?" She didn't turn to look at him.

"No," she said dreamily.

"You got a lotta stuff, kid," Mister Changretta said. "Listen up. When we go in, you stick with me. If you don't, I'll have to assume you've changed your mind."

"I won't."

Rose watched two women strolling arm in arm, sharing a cigarette between them. She might have done that with Alice or Helen one day.

It didn't matter.

The car stopped and Rose allowed herself to be lifted from the car.

"Here we go."

Mister Changretta took her hand again and Rose floated alongside him towards...she looked up and realised they were walking into her uncle Charlie's shipyard.

The sight of it was so familiar it brought all of Rose back into herself instantly.

Her heart exploded.

She dug her heels into the uneven pavement, her knees buckling.

"What the fuck are you doin', kid?"

He was going to shoot her dead. He was going to take her in there, into the shipyard and shoot her dead.

"I- I-I-"

Her teeth were chattering.

She was trembling so hard, Mister Changretta had a hard time keeping hold of her. He let go of her hand and glared at her.

"You've got thirty seconds to make your mind up, Miss Shelby," he said coldly.

She couldn't do it. Rose couldn't do it.

"Rosa..." Mimo was behind her now, his hand on her back, gripping a fistful of dress, holding her upright and moving her forward at the same time. "She's coming, boss, we're coming."

Rose twisted her neck, staring up at him.

"You're alright, kid," he said quietly. "Just keep walking."

Rose was half-pushed, half-dragged forward.

"You don't want your father to see you like this," Mimo murmured behind her. "The more you keep your shit together, the less he's gonna hurt."

"I can't," she whispered.

"Then your old man gets it," Mimo said simply. "Is that what you want?"

"No...no...but...."

"You're nearly there, Rosa."

They were nearly there, he was right. They were through the gates and on their way to the gin shed. Rose was straining for breath so hard her nostrils flared like a filly's.

"You know that song, Everybody Loves my Baby?" Mimo asked.

Rose nodded, her teeth still hammering like mad.

"You play that in your head, okay?" Mimo pushed her forward into the shed. "You won't make it through the whole thing before it's all over."

"Promise?" Rose managed hoarsely.

"I fucking guarantee. Okay? Just don't think about nothing else."

Mister Changretta had stopped. He looked at Rose and gave a tiny shake of the head.

"So?" he asked. "What's it gonna be?"

Rose found she could move on her own accord, albeit unsteadily. She walked the three steps needed to take her to his side and took his hand.