AN UNLIKELY ALLY Ch. 1: Murdoc's Last Assignment

An Unlikely Ally

(A MacGyver 1985 Fanfiction)

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of MacGyver or the cover picture. These characters belong to Lee David Zlotoff, Henry Winkler, John Rich, and associates.

The room was dark and cool. Dim lights hung over a long wooden table at the far end of the open space. The dark-clad figure moved through the darkness with a quick silence that attributed to his reputation in the trade. Silently, he crossed the line from dark to light, stepping into the sight of three individuals in formal business clothing.

"We're glad you finally decided to join us, Murdoc," the woman said sarcastically, shooting a glare towards the assassin.

"My pleasure," Murdoc replied courteously in his smooth British accent, sporting a sly smile. The dim lighting illuminated the contours of his black leather jacket as he pulled out the chair closest to him with a loud grating scrape across the concrete floor.

"Let's get on with it then. Murdoc, we've called you to our H.I.T. board meeting today because we are bringing in a new operative that we want you to train before you retire."

"Then why are you telling me about it now?" Murdoc asked, drumming his fingers absentmindedly against the wooden table.

"This will be your last assignment with us, Murdoc."

Murdoc's fingers fell silent on the surface of the table, and he directed his intense gaze at the woman who had just delivered the news. "You're firing me? After all these years? Just like that?"

The woman shot a furtive glance to the man on her right before evenly responding, "You're not being fired, Murdoc. You're being—" She paused, searching for the right words. "Honorably discharged."

"What is it? Have I not completed all my assignments to your satisfaction? Name one assignment that I didn't successfully complete!" Murdoc shouted, slamming his hands down on the table and rising from his chair. The veins in his neck bulged slightly, matching the fire in his eyes as he searched the faces of the three board members in front of him.

The man on the woman's right with the scar on his cheek spoke. "MacGyver."

Murdoc shut his mouth in a grim line. He turned his back to the members until finally, he spoke in a calm and more collected tone of voice, "Other than MacGyver, I have completed every other assignment with excellence." He turned to face them again and his British voice filled the room, "But I am the best hitman that Homicide International Trust has ever had! I should be able to retire when I so wish!" With a movement so fast that none of them saw it coming, Murdoc pulled a knife out and thrust it into the table.

The woman and man on her left recoiled in their chairs. But the man with the scar didn't budge an inch and continued to look Murdoc in the eye as he spoke. "Murdoc, you tried to retire a few years back, but we still needed you then. However, your services are no longer needed. It is time for a change. You're not as young as you used to be, and we need a younger assassin to take the lead." He scratched his pepper-gray hair before continuing, "But you were the best and that is why you are an excellent choice for training Dmitry Shoscovich. The young Russian shows much promise. If properly trained, he could be as good as you."

Murdoc folded his arms across his chest and let his gaze drift to the surroundings beyond the table before him. "I will not reduce myself to teaching a know-nothing child the high artistry of assassins."

The other man spoke up, flipping open a manila file full of papers. "Dmitry is highly trained in the Russian assassin industry, but we want to bring him here and educate him in the superior American trade. He may only be nineteen, but he is beyond his time."

A scowl filled Murdoc's face as he stared into the faces of the board members with such intensity that finally the woman turned away and exclaimed, "Murdoc, enough with your tricks! You will educate Dmitry, and that is the end of this conversation." She smoothed her skirt and then continued, "He will arrive late tonight, and you will meet him here tomorrow at 9:00 am, is that understood?"

Murdoc shifted his weight uneasily and then shot back with gritted teeth, "I understand you perfectly."

Murdocturned and walked into the darkness, not even hesitating when the man with thescar called out after his retreating figure, "And Murdoc, there will be direconsequences if you don't show up tomorrow."

~Don't forget to like and comment!