Dear Journal (Pt. 1)

Start from the beginning

MJ didn't look outwardly scared; she had a disdainful, proud look on her face and Peter would bet that she had fought right up until the moment the guy pulled out the knife. Swinging across the alley, he let out a huff of laughter when he saw MJ's hands: she was clutching a small bottle of pepper spray and was clearly waiting for the best moment to use it.

The laughter quickly turned to fear when he realized that the closeness of the mugger meant that if she sprayed him, he could lash out blindly and get her with the knife. Carefully pulling on the hood of his suit, Peter judged the distance needed before hitting the knife out of the mugger's hand with a web.

MJ gasped with shock, hands flattening against the bricks of the wall, eyeing the web on the knife with growing relief.

The mugger let out a yell of shock and anger, grabbing MJ by the shoulder and throwing her to the ground. Seeming to have identified her as the source of the attack, he began yelling at her.

"What was that! What was that, huh? Come on, what did you do!"

"Stop it," Peter said calmly, standing a careful arms-width behind the mugger. The man turned, face paling as he realized who was behind him.

"Spiderman?" he breathed, disbelief written all over his face.

"Step away from the girl," Peter said, stepping closer.

"Listen, man," the guy said, raising his hands above his head. "This was just a little misunderstanding, okay? Nothing going on here."

Peter ignored him, turning to address, MJ instead. "Is this man bothering you?"

MJ took a deep breath, some of the tension seeming to seep out of her shoulders. "Yes," she said defiantly. "He's trying to rob me. AND, might I add, not doing a very good job of it."

"What did you say?" the mugger said, the rest of his words muffled by the webbing Peter shot over his mouth.

"What do you say we leave him here for the police to find?" Peter asks, gratified when it brings a smile to MJ's face. He hated seeing fear there, hating knowing that she had felt helpless and alone.

With that thought in mind, he turned and shot webbing at the mugger, attaching him to the alley wall by his wrists.

"Let's leave them a note, shall we?" Peter says. "Do you have a pencil and paper I could borrow, by any chance?"

MJ smiles again, brighter this time. "I think I can hook you up," she says, rummaging through the pile of stuff on the ground. She pauses, then rips a piece of lined paper out of a nondescript, empty journal. She hands it to Peter along with a neatly sharpened pencil.

"Thanks," he said, before turning to the wall and affecting a tone of mock concentration. "Let's see here... Ah yes. Dear police." He turns to MJ with a smirk. "Always start off polite, that's what my mother taught me."

MJ quirks an eyebrow at him, thoroughly amused.

"This is a very bad man," Peter continues, hamming it up. "He should be taken to jail immediately. Love, Spiderman."

"Wow, the L-word," MJ said, enjoying herself. "I had no idea your relationship was that serious."

"Yeah, well, the ol' department and I have known each other for a good while now. Besides, I'm secure in my relationship."

MJ laughed, her eyes sparkling. Peter revelled in that for a moment, before bending over and helping her pick up her belongings. She zipped up her backpack and paused for a moment.

"Thanks," she said abruptly. "You know. For saving me."

"My pleasure," he said. "But you should probably avoid walking alone in dark alleyways from now on. It'll make my job a little easier."

"Sure," she said, hitching her backpack a little higher on her shoulder. "I'll take the main roads from now on."

Peter gave her a nod, before swinging up onto the roof of the apartment complex beside them and out of her view. He watched her for a moment, smiling uncontrollably behind his mask.

Yep, he was glad he had been keeping an eye on her. He had no doubt she could protect herself, but if he was doing his job right, she shouldn't have to.

He could keep her safe, and he would.

So, like I mentioned before, this one-shot was based on a prompt given to me by @KiyanNicole, which is why Peter is written a little bit different than I usually write him. He's a little more confident, at least as spiderman.

So, this is story is probably going to end up being 3 or 4 prompts, just based off of how long and in-depth the prompt I had was. I hope you guys like it, and you can always send me more prompts!

Also: 6.9k reads? 182 votes? You guys are incredible! Please remember to vote and comment if you liked it!

-Viwrit3r