𝟬𝟭𝟱 oceans between you and me

Start from the beginning

     However, this time, things were different. JJ wasn't just some guy Nova happened to be crushing on. He was more than that. JJ was different compared to Rafe Cameron and that one guy she made out with behind the bleachers at the Kook Academy ( who later spread a rumour that they did more but that was total bullshit ). JJ didn't want Nova for her body. Instead he was sweet, gentle and understanding. Whenever she pushed him away, he held onto her and never left her side, even when he probably should have. And despite being the Pogue who was known for screwing his way through the island — the typical bad boy who broke hearts left and right, he never seemed to do that to Nova.

     He cared about her in ways no other guy has cared before. Those were all reasons to why Nova fell for the Maybank boy in the first place.

     The only problem was that she was still scared of getting hurt. She shouldn't be scared of being broken at the hands of JJ, especially after he's proved time and time again that he would never do what others guys have done to her in the past. But whenever Nova found herself admitting her feelings for JJ, fear would settle in and scream at Nova to bury her love in a shallow grave in hopes that one day her fear will subside and she can finally be truthful to JJ.

She just wasn't sure if that day would ever come.

     Talk about being stuck between a rock and a hard place.

     Until then Nova Van Kirk could use a distraction, and hanging around the Pogues and talking about anything other than the future of her and JJ was the best distraction yet. This caused for the girl to make her way towards the front door of her home, her shoes hitting the hard floor beneath her feet, before she stopped in her tracks and wrapped her hand around the handle, goosebumps igniting across her skin when she came in contact with the cold metal in the process, before she pulled the door open to reveal the one face she didn't expect to see.

"Rafe?" Nova spoke up, her entire body tensing in surprise whilst she furrowed her brows together in confusion. She wondered why Rafe Cameron of all people was standing on her doorstep right now. "What are you doing here?" She pressed.

Rafe looked around hastily, his frantic eyes darting all over the place, the boy even looking over his shoulder like he was some paranoid freak, before he turned his attention back to Nova. "We need to talk. Can I come in?" He answered, raising Nova's suspicions a little more.

Nova continued to stare back at Rafe with uncertainty glazed over her eyes. She noticed how paranoid he appeared to be, the way he was practically sweating bullets, and even the fear that burned brightly in his eyes. She wondered if this was just Rafe experiencing the repercussions of some drug he might of took, knowing it was a plausible explanation to his strange and agitated state. A voice in the back of her head told her to say no, that he only brought her trouble, but she moved aside anyways, allowing Rafe to enter her home.

     Sighing quietly to herself, Nova closed the door and turned around to face a very frantic Rafe Cameron, folding her arms over her chest. "I hope there's a very good reason why you're here right now because I'm going to meet up with my friends, so please, whatever this is about, can you speed it up—"

     "I'm in trouble, Nova." Rafe confessed, cutting the girl off in the process. "And I'm not talking about wrecking my old man's car kind of trouble. I'm in deep shit, Nova, and I don't know how to fix it." He elaborated further, his voice laced with desperation whilst he spoke.

Raising her brow, Nova parted her lips to speak. "What kind of trouble?" She inquired curiously.

     "Barry kind of trouble." Rafe breathed out, the mere mention of the name being enough to make Nova shudder.