Hit

In the mist of the fog covering the deep blue night, Leisha gazed upon flaring lights venturing their way closer. The air had a stale humid presence, leaving her skin fresh. Rocks presenting themselves to her feet left a crunch as the every seemingly highway never stopped.The lights wooshed by leaving a perrimeter of wind gushing causing her body to lean a little.

In the rearview mirror a typical redneck saw the beauty of the hitchhiker and commenced to slow down. Whipping a U-turn, he became very close to her as she gazed intently at his face. A moment of silence, a moment of wonder, he spoke, "Where ya heading?" "I'd like to say where but I don't know. Whereever your going." He shoke his head as his tongue moved his tobacco to his other cheek. "Alright, get in," as he said reaching over to push the door open.

They sat nervously with expressions of shyness. Peering out the windows in other directions both thought of a conversation starter. "Some fog there is tonight." he said. "Yeah, I guess you could say that." Leisha doubtfully spoken. At an up coming curve shadows blanketed the road from pine trees to the right. It made her feel uneasy and the notion to get out ever raced at her mind. "Is there any town coming up? I need to use to lady's room." Leisha said with a nervous laugh. The man looked at her than back at the road shaking his head no. Now she even felt more uneased as silence grew thicker between them. As if the guy read her mind, "Look if you don't want to ride with me anymore, go ahead and get out. I'm just trying to help you out." She felt embarssed than and sorry at the same time. He might of been a little wierd, but truth was, he was the only one who picked her up. "Sorry, I just, I don't know, its just different for me to hitchhike." "It's ok," he said, "But learn a little respect." Leisha looked blankly at the passenger window confused about how she came off so rude. "Hey? Can you just pull over here? I'd rather just walk now." He made a face of disgust and wildly swerved over to the shoulder. "There you go, rather walk out in the middle of the night than in a safe car? Go right ahead." She could tell he was really mad and she couldn't help but feel sorry. "Listen...Thanks for the ride." 

She began walking once again as the mans car took off leaving a dust of dirt in the air. Watching the gleeming red lights wander off, Leisha stared at the ground kicking rocks on her way.

In the zone of her stroll, she saw in the ditch the car of the man who picked her up. Lights on and both doors open no one was around. Streaks of tire marks covered the ditch and highway seeming as if he swerved from hitting something.