iii. Champion Trio

Start from the beginning

Little did she know, she'd be soon to find out.

After placing their names in the Goblet, Lucy and her friends decided to stick around for a while, curious to see who else was entering the tournament. Many Hogwarts students were lingering, too, but there weren't many students from Durmstrang at all.

There was a small round of applause for each student slipping a piece of parchment into the goblet, and each person's popularity was demonstrated through how enthusiastic each round was.

The four Beauxbatons girls couldn't help but comment on the fact that almost every friendship group from Hogwarts had the majority of the same colour tie.

"They're like little cults," Lucy joked, to which Fleur had sniggered.

Not long after, the same boy Lucy had smiled at the night before, the one with the yellow tie, soon came bursting through the doors, turning many heads his way as his friends blinded through with him, hyping him up to put his name forward.

"Go on, Cedric!" Another boy with a yellow tie said. "Put it in!"

The boy Lucy now knew as 'Cedric' laughed as his friends rowdily pushed him into the circle, clapping their hands as they did so. The blonde watched from the bench she was sitting on, next to Fleur, who was mid conversation with Misty and Verity.

Cedric dropped his scrappy bit of parchment into the goblet, and yet another round of applause sounded. He turned around with a wide grin, before jumping back to his friends who cheered, patting him on the shoulder before they proceeded to linger, chatting.

Lucy's attention diverted back to her own friends, and joined back in with their conversation.

Throughout the whole day, people were entering and leaving the hall, putting their names forward confidently for the tournament or cheering their friends on as they did. Even some under-age people tried it, much to Lucy's amusement, as she watched them take the consequences of ignoring the age line. Two red-headed twins had been victims of the age line, and were blasted from the goblet after passing it, and ended up growing beards and their hair turning white. Lucy and Fleur had both snickered together.

And then, the time of day Lucy had been longing for finally arrived - the Halloween feast, or more importantly, the champion selection.

"Now the moment you've all been waiting for!" Dumbly-dorr announced, as everyone sat down and the rumble of chatter began to fade. "The champion selection!"

Lucy grabbed Fleur's hand and they both squeezed them tightly, exchanging excited glances. The Hogwarts Headmaster dramatically turned around slowly, dimming the lights. Lucy could feel her heartbeat in her chest.

Dumbly-dorr stepped forward to the goblet gradually, as everyone apprehensively waited for the first name to be cast. Eventually, the first scrap of parchment was released.

"The Durmstrang champion - Viktor Krum!"

There was a loud applause as he fist pumped, before standing up and joining the Hogwarts headmaster. Lucy released her grip from Fleur's hand to clap politely - in all fairness, she wasn't the biggest fan of Quidditch, so she wasn't too familiar with Krum or why he was famous. Neither was any of her friends really, but someone could probably fill her in.