7. Family discussion

| Edited |
_________________________________________

Adhirath was utterly upset. Karna, his son, who always walked on the path of Dharma would now be serving Adharma by working for Duryodhana.

Duryodhana was bad company. He knew it!

Although happy to see her son smiling, Radha was also afraid of the cold rift that was forming between the father and son. Her husband had been silent ever since he had come returned home.

"Mata Radha," she turned as soon as she heard her son calling her softly

"Putra, why are you standing there? Come inside." She smiled and ran to him.

Karna felt relaxed in the warmth of his mother's love. He noticed his father, who didn't turn to look at him.

"I'm happy for you," she said affectionately.

Karna sat beside Radha's feet and she caressed his hair lovingly. He closed his eyes, asking, "Ma, would you remain the same even though I've become a king?"

"Yes son. But before resting your head on my lap, do take out your crown or else it'll prick me." Radha replied with tears in her eyes, her words carried the deep meaning which Karn understood and he immediately looked up.

"What happened Radha Ma? Are you not happy seeing your Radheya as a king?" He asked puzzled and concerned.

"I don't know anything, son. I am just happy because I'm finally seeing a real smile on my Radheya's face after so many years!" She confessed in a soft affectionate tone.

"This smile is a guest of a few days. When the time comes, there will be the black shadow of remorse." Adhirath stated in disbelief.

The mother-son looked at him as they stood up.

"What is that supposed to mean, Pitashri?" Karn asked perplexed.

"The diamond which is surrounded by the coal is also counts as the coal!" Adhirath replied

Karna immediately understood what his father implying; here Karna was the diamond who was surrounded by the coal who were Kauravas.

Radha was tensed. She wanted to stop her husband, but she didn't know what to say.

"By befriending Kumar Duryodhan, you won't get the respect you want, son," Adhirath said. "Where is adharma, there is no respect."

"My son, you do not know Kumar Duryodhana."

"Perhaps yes, I don't know him— and yes, I didn't know anyone else in the Kala Pradarshan either"

"Then for sure he must have his own reason for doing so."

"He must have, fine! Prince Duryodhan does have his own selfish reason but that's not something for us to think! For us to think is that, he has done a great favour upon us and surrendering ourselves to him for that is our duty, Pitashri!" Karna said with a small smile

"Son," Adhirath put hand on Karna's shoulder "one should have favour from the wise man only. But it seems like now you've become so desperate that you're unable to differentiate between Dharma."

"But if you still think— surrendering to Duryodhan is you duty, then go and keep up your responsibility." His father said simply, in a low tone and turned away.

Karna was shocked. "Are you not coming to Anga with me? How will I live without you?" He turned to Radha, who was already silently crying "Radha ma, how will I live without you?" He said, his heart aching.

"No putra, we're not coming along with you. If someday you'll need a home where even the shadow of adharma has never fallen— for that day when you return, you shall have a home like that." His father replied.

"We'll shield this house of yours from Adharma."

Karna slowly turned to father, "Pitashri, please tell me how to wash the sins? The sins perhaps I've to be a part of— as I'll accompany Duryodhan."

"Daan (donation). It is the only way. Keep donating my son. And do remember that the doors of this home of yours are always open for you." He replied.

"Thank you, Pitashri. I shall leave now." Karna said looking down, before slowly walking out of the house with a heavy heart.

With teary eyes, Radha looked at the retreating figure of her beloved son, while Adhirath was as well tensed for him.

______________________________________________________________________________

Hello readers!
Sorry for making you guys wait, I'm busy preparing for CUET exam. I hope you can understand my situation.
Anyway, the edited chapter 7 is here finally.
Please comment and vote.
Stay tuned! 😉