My Last Day

AN: Hey Y'all! since Remembrance Day has just past i have written a short story for our fallen soldiers. It is a short story and i hope you guys like it!!! :D 

********************************************************************************************************************

Another blast came from my right, as bullets whizz past my head.  We’ve been ambushed by the Germans.  As I look around me trying to find the enemy all I see are fallen soldiers.  They lay by the dozen to my left and right.  Harold, a good friend of mine, lay dead just off to my left.  This war will drive a man mad and back.   I cry out in pain as I feel a bullet strike me to close to my heart.  I lie down next to my fallen comrades and wait for the end.  It’s only a matter of time now.

*30 minutes before the ambush*

“Just think Mike, in a week we can finally go home ain’t that great!  I miss Kelly and the kids so much.”  Harold was saying next to me.

It’s not that I wasn’t listening to him, I was, it’s just that I keep thinking about home.  How are my folks?  Have they any news of us?  Do they know that in a week we will be home at last?

“Mike, Mike you there buddy?” Harold asks waving a hand in front of my face.

“Yeah, sorry, just thinking about home.  Can’t wait to see my folks and Veronica.” I mumbled.

“Ah, your new wedded wife.  So how’s the married life treating ya old boy?”

“It’s everything I expected and more.”  I replied enthusiastically.

“I can’t wait to be home so I can sleep in my own bed instead of the ground for once.”  Jerry joked.  He was always such a nice young lad.

“Let’s just take this one step at a time lads alright?  There’s still a week left and I need to make sure that all of you lads are alive to see that week end.  Am I clear?!”  Shouted our chief.

“Yes sir!”  We all shouted in reply.

What did he mean when he said he needs to make sure that we are alive for the end of the week?  What did he think was going to happen?  I’m a little nervous now.  What if something does happen?  What if we don’t make it home?  My worries worsen a few seconds later when I dreadfully hear a comrade scream: “Ambush!”

“Those Germans are so stupid!”  Screams Harold. Thankfully not swearing for once.

“Come on Mike, one last adventure for us just like when we were kids.”  He says to me somehow managing a smile. I smile back.

“For old times.” I reply.

When we head up out of our tent what we see is bloodcurdling.  It’s only about a minute after ambush was called and already dozens of soldiers lay fallen and dead.  War is hell, and I hope this will be the last.