"Sure you will." And with that, the man shook his head and walked into the back room.

How these two ever survived on the road was a mystery to you. You assumed they had experience in small villages like this, especially because they traveled together often. How those trips went, you didn't want to know. This was already toeing the line of being a disaster, and it had just begun.

Geralt took a seat at the counter, barely looking at the two of you. "I'll wait here for the food."

Fair enough. You practically dragged Jaskier with you to an empty table, not that they were hard to find. It was a weird time between the usual lunch and dinner rush hours, so not many people were accompanying you at the tavern. Either way, the village was quite small and you doubted it would be crowded in the first place.

You sat down across from Jaskier, keeping an eye on the main door. Even though the coast seemed clear now, you didn't want to take any chances. But of course, Jaskier was there to distract you.

He was staring at you again, but this time with a small smile. It was infuriating.

You couldn't help the sharpness of your voice, "What."

"You know, maybe after all of this assassin stuff, you should be an actress."

You couldn't hold back a snort. But in an instant, your smile faltered. Rauf said something similar to you the night you got this assignment. The night where all you wanted to do was kill the man in front of you. And now...well, you were far from that.

You settled on a shrug.

Surely Jaskier knew something was on your mind; by now, he was used to the way you tensed up whenever you actually felt comfortable, how whenever the slightest amount of genuine emotion peeked out you immediately shut it down. So, naturally, he decided to push you further.

"Why do you kill, anyway?"

Your eyes snapped back to him. You supposed a question like this was coming, as it usually did. But something about him asking it was surprising. Like maybe...he was better than that.

You shook your head at the thought. Better than what? Every other person who didn't understand the life you lead? It wasn't uncommon, and it shouldn't have disappointed you in the slightest.

But it did.

"Why do you ask?"

"Well," he placed his palms flat on the table. "I know you said you kill people who are...monsters. But...why?"

You reached for the knife on your wrist, dragging a finger along its sheath. "I was taught every person has a monster inside of them, waiting to snap. Some people never do. Others...kill their wives and sell their children. Or other variants."

"Yes, I understand that." You looked back up at him, where he was staring at you intently. "But why."

His eyes were focused on you, and only you. It made you straighten your posture, roll back your shoulders. You knew why. Of course you knew why. And your first instinct was to just tell him. What's a sad back story if it doesn't get told? But your second instinct, the one Rauf's voice controlled, was telling you to keep your mouth shut.

This time, you listened. "I don't know."

"Hm," Jaskier sat back in his chair, continuing to look you over with his infuriatingly casual curiosity. "How strange."

"What?"

"From what I understand, when you look at people, you see...sin. Monsters. But I see...stories." His eyes shifted just past your head, focusing on something behind you. He jutted his chin out. "Him. What do you see when you look at him?"