Mehndi

The two families were occupied with chai and evening snacks when suddenly Khushi's hand froze midway when her eyes saw her henna adorned palms.

Her eyes popped out upon spotting a bold 'A' not so discreetly drawn in the midst of the intricate pattern.

"Hey devi maiya" she mumbled and ran towards the kitchen to hide herself.

She started scrubbing her palm making it redder as the henna stain refused to budge.

"Khushi"

His voice stopped her in her tracks.

"Main tumse baat kar raha hoon"

She turned around making sure her face displayed calm.

"Haan to kariye" she smiled folding her hands behind her back.

"Tumne mujhe call ki thi"

"Nahi to, main kyun karoongi"

"Shayad sorry bolne" he raised a brow.

"Aur apko kyun laga ke main sorry boloongi?" she retorted.

He pulled out his phone and started playing the voicemail.

"Mujhe maaf-"

Before her unintentional voice message could complete Khushi snatched the phone and held it tight with both her hands behind her back, making Arnav gasp in shock.

"What the"

"Im sure mujhe ab kuch kehne ki zaroorat nahi padegi" his eyes shone victory.

"Phone wapis do"

"Nahi" she acted nonchalant.

"Excuse me" he raised an eyebrow.

He took a step closer making her eyes pop.

She took a step backwards.

"Maine kaha phone do"

His eyes fixated on her.

Her unconcerned eyes roamed everywhere as if he didn't exist.

Arnav smiled inwardly and moved his hands behind her back where his phone was held in her hands.

Khushi's failed attempt to create distance between them caused his nose to almost brush hers.

If Khushi's nerves were doing all sorts of dances she didn't let it show. He slowly brought her hands forward. Her resolve had crumpled to the ground.

Khushi gulped.

He slowly opened her henna adorned hands as the whiff of the strong fragrance released. She closed her eyes as the warmth of her hands mingled with the coolness of his fingers.

Arnav's eyes lazily scanned her palm as he retrieved the device. Forgetting all about the piece of plastic he 'd been battling to get, his gaze was now fixated on the bold A.

"Yeh kya hai"

Khushi's eyes slowly opened. Not only she lost the phone but he had found something else. Today was a day of losses.

"Kya kya hai?"

His constant presence around her had trained her to feel one way but act another.

"Yeh" he turnedd her palm so the A was right in front of her eyes.

"Yeh? Yeh to mehndi hai"

He rolled his eyes.

"Tumhari mehndi mein A hai"

Only she would be willing to play these games all day.

"To?"

Khushi was used to fighting till the end.

"To?"

He repeated with a raised eyebrow and lips pressed.

"Ohhhh"

Pretending the realization just hit her, Khushi had a lightbulb moment.

"Apko laga yeh aapke liye hai?"

The mischief in her eyes didn't go unnoticed by him.

He blinked, folding his arms, urging her to go on.

She let out a laugh and looked towards the dining area where the rest of the family was seated.

"A se aur logon ke bhi naam hote hain"

She bit her lip walking around him. Arnav didn't believe her.

Before he could mutter What the his phone rang.

"Aman?" she smiled looking at him vaguely giving direction to his thoughts, as the name flashed on his screen.

"What the-"

He continued to stare at her.

Khushi winked at him and ran.

Arnav's already racing heart skipped a beat and he smiled looking down.