𝚝𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢 𝚘𝚗𝚎

warning: mentions of difficulties conceiving and other medical conditions.

Joelle stared at the scattered positive pregnancy tests that were currently in her hands or on the bathroom floor. She had no idea how to feel about it or how she would tell Jack.

The couple had been having regular sex for a while now and they always used a condom but it looked like this time, the condom wasn't one hundred percent effective.

"Joelle, you've been in there for a while. Are you okay?" Jack's voice sounded from the other side of the door. The door started to open, Joelle forgetting that the lock on the door no longer worked.

The brunette boy walked in and saw every pregnancy test that his girlfriend had taken, scattered across the tiled floor.

"Joelle, what's going on?" He hesitantly picked one of them up off of the ground and looked at it. He had no idea what the two positive lines meant but by his girlfriend's ghostly pale face, he could take an educated guess and say that it meant positive.

"I think I'm pregnant." She was in a state of pure disbelief. She had always wanted kids, she had expressed that to Jack when they were just kids themselves but she didn't think that she would be having them for a few years yet.

"Wow, this is unexpected." Jack didn't know what to say or do. He wasn't sure how Joelle was feeling, he could tell that she was shocked but maybe she would be happy after it had worn off.

"What are you thinking?" He asked his girlfriend as he moved forward and wrapped his arms around her, hugging her tightly.

"I don't know, I just wasn't expecting it." She mumbled into his chest, wanting nothing more than to sit and watch tv, enveloped in his arms and forget about the fetus inside of her.

"Maybe we should schedule a doctor's appointment just in case?" Jack suggested, rubbing Joelle's back as he thought about what the future would hold for them both.

"Okay."

The couple didn't move from their position in the bathroom, both holding on to each other for dear life. They were scared, petrified even. They weren't ready to welcome a kid into the world but now they had to step up because their fetus was relying on them.

***
"We have the test results," Jack squeezed Joelle's hand tightly, nervous for what the doctor was about to tell them both.

"I'm sorry to say but after the ultrasound, it's clear to see that you're not pregnant and you never were." The doctor tried his best to let the couple down gently for he didn't know how they would be feeling about the news. Some would say that it was bad news whilst others would say that it was good news.

Joelle felt numb. She didn't think she wanted a baby, not yet anyway but after living with the thought of it for a week or so, she now felt deflated. Her chance of a family was now gone.

Jack also felt empty. There was something about having a child of his own that excited him. He knew that it would be difficult but it was a challenge that he felt he could face with his girlfriend by his side.

"We've run some tests for your hormone levels to check why you got the false positive but they haven't turned anything up. We suspect that you may have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome or Endemetriosis or something similar. We can't be sure until we do more tests." All Joelle heard was a bunch of medical terms being spoken at her, making her even more confused.

"What does that mean?" She was scared but the doctor explained it to her and explained that the couple may have trouble conceiving when they chose to try again.

"I'll give you both a minute because I know it's a lot to try and take in." The doctor left the room, leaving the couple to try and absorb all that they had just been told.

"I understand if you want to leave me." The words that came from Joelle hurt Jack. He couldn't believe that she was thinking like that. Having kids was something that they both wanted but the doctor only said that it would be difficult, he didn't say impossible.

"Hey, I'm not going to leave you at the first hurdle. Baby, I wouldn't leave you after one hundred hurdles," the footballer leaned down and looked into his girlfriend's eyes, the tears clouding his vision as he too was vulnerable.

"He said it would be difficult, not impossible and if we can't conceive naturally, there's loads of other options out there for us to explore." Jack tried his best to comfort the distraught girl in front of him even though he was also hurting.

"You really want to start a family with me?" Joelle's chocolate eyes looked hopeful as she realised that this was a very serious conversation.

"I've never been certain about my future. I've never known if football will be forever career, if one day i'll get a career ending injury, if I'll always stay at Villa but you," he grabbed hold of both of Joelle's hands and looked at her intently in an effort to show her that what he was about to say was true and came from his heart.

"You're the only thing in my life that i'm certain of. I love you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you." Jack's little speech removed any bitterness from the situation as the couple realised that this terrible event had brought them even closer together.

Whatever life was willing to throw at them, they would be able to overcome it because they had each other and that's all that they needed.

a/n: i feel terrible for doing this to my two favourites but it can't all be smooth sailing, this is wattpad after all.

to be clear, joelle didn't get further testing as it would have been too much disappointment for her to handle in one day. it's still unknown why her pregnancy test read positive and it's suspected that they'll face difficulties conceiving.

if anyone has been triggered or affected by what's been mentioned, please don't suffer in silence. my inbox is alway open if you need it ♡

football in scotland has been given the go ahead for the 1st of august! so excited and we've made three new signings today so very excited about that! how's your day been?

enjoy and stay safe!

lots of love, e x