Then it was silence.

Was someone going to say something?

I cleared my throat, folding my hands across my lap as I took my seat next to Fern, who was still dragging his suitcase around.

"Well?" I asked after a few seconds getting suck of Gabriel and Fern's stare off. They could stare off later, I also didn't want to get stuck between this stare off. 

I could still feel the baguette's presence in my windpipe, like it left a dent. 

"Gabriel decided to lie." Fern started.

"I did not lie. I did not say anything."

"You are implying it Gabriel." 

Gabriel sighed,  leaning back in his chair, almost like he was going to roll his eyes before he looked at me, "How would you like to earn some more money?" he asked.

Fern scoffed, "She's not a prostitute."

"Ew no." I said shaking my head, "Hard pass." 

"No" Gabriel snapped, almost looking as outraged as I was meant to feel.

"Not like that, the opposite. Pretend to be my ex wife. Key word here is ex."

"What?" I asked confused. I could hear Fern muter something from beside of me.

"You don't need to know the details. You just need to fight with me on cue."

"If you're going to omit detail, at least do it properly." Fern muttered turning to face me, "Basically Gabriel needs to inherit a shit load of money. Issue is that there is a legal clause that needs him to be married for a minimum of two years. He's not married so we found a loop hole to bring in someone to pretend he was married."

"Is that why you kissed me? That still doesn't make sense, because why would you kiss your ex wife." I asked confused.

"Well once we got here we realised that his grandmother wanted some form of 'attempt' you see, the divorce needs to be tested. We can forge some marriage certificates but his grandmother is smart. She'll pick it apart, so we need to establish some kind of chemistry between you. Almost like you guy are bipolar and make it seem like you're not compatible so she can just give up on the idea of Gabriel marrying anyone."

"You're telling it wrong." Gabriel muttered, "Look. Just pretend we're in a relationship until I tell you to, and then stop and I'll give you a million dollars."

I nearly choked.

A million dollars.

"You're crazy." Fern said.

"You are." I agreed, "Is that why your grandmother hates me? Keeps glaring at me that wench!" I muttered leaning back in my chair, "What did you tell her?"

"Do you want to do it or not?" Gabriel asked, almost like he was the one that was irritated. Why the hell was he irritated, I should be.

"No." I said.

"Why not? You'll be foolish to turn down this much money. You could quit your job and retire."

"That's presumptuous of you to think I could retire with that and besides I am in a relationship. This is so not cool! Especially the assault! Find someone else."

"He can't." Fern said turning to look at me, "He didn't listen to me and hire a fake actor or anything. It's too late now, grandmother thinks you're her so ask him how much you want. He has no option but to pay." 

"I have no intention of being part of this but, if my-,"

"Whatever." Gabriel said cutting me off, "Stop your monologue and tell me how much you want."

"I don't want any of your money, I'd like to keep my dignity thanks." I muttered. Did he really thing he could give me money to kiss me, molest me like he wants. This entire thing sounded dodgy. 

"Your boyfriend or whatever won't care. I'll warn you next time-,"

"Hey!" I snapped, "There is no next time. I'm not taking part in this."

"You have to."

"No I don't."

"It's part of your job. It's in your contract that you work on special project and I deem this as a special project."

"Then I quit." I said as I stood up, "I'd like to give in my resignation."

Gabriel scoffed, "You really think you're going to get another job."

"Hey." Fern said looking between both of us, "How about we talk about this as adults. Aurora's issue is that she is in a relationship so you can't manhandle her the way you want, and you just need a fake wife and there is no where that says you need to kiss her every three seconds to prove a point."

"What are you saying?" I asked.

"Gabriel doesn't need to touch you and you get a million dollars, sounds like a good deal with me." Fern said, "I'll watch him for you."

"What does touch, define to?" I asked.

"No kissing, agreed?" Fern asked.

"No kissing."

"There may be the occasional hand hold, we do have to pretend to be wife and husband." Gabriel said. 

"I thought you said ex." I looked at Gabriel. 

"No kissing." Fern said as he stood up, "Draw up a contract and then you can agree to it."

"Hey...I haven't decided yet." 

Fern stood up, "Let Gabriel draw up a contract, then we can see whether you want to accept it or not."

Fern walked out the room and I rushed after him, "Hey." I said as I caught up to him.

Fern looked over his shoulder but continued to keep walking.

"Why are you supporting him so much, I thought you didn't like the idea."

Fern shook his head, "No. I support the idea, I just don't support him using you."

"What do you mean?"I asked.

"There are worse people that this inheritance can go to Rory. You don't understand the amount of money and power that is at play here. Gabriel needs to get it. I'll help him get it, but I'll help you as well."

Sorry for taking so long ,my puppy is INTENSE (in a good way). I made him an instagram lol - Cyder_TheCollie. Follow if you want.

My Insta: imsooverpolice - follow me!!

does anyone know what chapter I describe what Fern looks like? If not, i'll just re describe him in the next chapter lmao