𝟬𝟭𝟭 the melancholy blues

Start from the beginning

     But what her parents didn't know wouldn't hurt them.

     So, Nova Van Kirk brushed past a few strangers inside the large and extravagant venue of where the party was being held, her silky pink dress that hugged her curves perfectly making Nova almost feel suffocated at times after every step she took through the room. On her way out, Nova noticed a waiter from the corner of her eye holding a tray of glasses filled with sparkling champagne. This caused for Nova to swallow thickly, before she stretched out her hand and discreetly snatched one of the glasses from the tray.

Nova continued to walk ahead with the glass of champagne held tightly in her hand, so tight that she really did think it was going to shatter underneath her touch in a matter of seconds, before she stepped outside onto the patio to see the sun was beginning to set, a light orange hue painting across the summer skies. The sight of the breathtaking sky hanging over her was enough to ease some of the discomfort prickling at Nova's skin, but it wasn't enough to cure the cravings she felt in the pit of her stomach.

The young blonde then looked around the crowd of people, hoping to find a friendly face that wasn't her parents because if they caught her with a glass of champagne in her hand, then she might as well kiss her precious freedom goodbye. That was until Nova's gaze landed on none other than Pope Heyward, who was talking to Kiara Carrera, the dark skinned girl dressed in a beautiful purple dress that matched her complexion, her curls tied up with a flower crown placed on top of her head. The sight of the pair was enough to make Nova smile, before she brushed past a few strangers whilst she walked down a couple of steps and out onto the large patch of greenery.

"Hey, guys." Nova greeted them both, her familiar voice being enough to make Pope and Kiara turn around, smiles of their own forming across their lips when they saw the beautiful blonde approaching them.

"I'm surprised this is the first either of us are seeing you." Kiara said to the girl, almost like Nova's vacancy from the party was an unexpected shock.

Nova shrugged her shoulders. "Yeah, I'm doing everything in my power to stay hidden. There is nothing worse than stuck up Kooks offering their condolences for your dead brother when it's four months too late." She explained, her voice sounding bitter whilst she spoke.

Pope shrugged his shoulders. "Why did you come then?" He inquired, staring at the blonde with a curious look.

He wasn't exactly wrong either. Nova did have all the power in the world to tell her parents that she would be staying home instead of attending a party for fascists and ignorant assholes. However, standing up against her parents wishes was getting a lot harder, especially since Rafe Cameron told them about her recent endeavours with drugs and ongoing battle with addiction. So, if Ethan and Allison Van Kirk wanted Nova to attend a party like Midsummers, then the girl had no other choice than to abide by their rules.

"Because my parents dragged me here." Nova answered, "I also wanted to speak to Juno, and, you know, apologise. But I can't find her anywhere. I thought she would have been here by now." She inferred, hoping that one of them would know the whereabouts of the O'Connell girl.

"She's not coming." Kiara deadpanned, her words causing for Nova to glance over at the Carrera girl with a puzzled look burning in her eyes, her brows furrowing in confusion.

     "What...why?" Nova questioned. It wasn't like Juno to miss Midsummers. The girl loved the party more than Nova ever did, so it was definitely a surprise to hear she was no longer attending the festivities.

     Kiara sighed and looked down at her hands. "JJ got himself into some trouble and I think Juno is just looking out for him." She told the girl, the sudden mention of JJ's name being enough to make the blonde stare at Kiara with a worried look, especially when she realised he had gotten himself into trouble. . . again.