19: "No foul play my ass."

Start from the beginning

He pulls himself back up and uses his arm to push himself off the wall before placing his other hand in his pocket and scanning my face for a reaction. By the smug look on his face, I've delivered, but I quickly smirk to hide my flustered state.

"I'll keep an eye out for you, Black."

He smirks as well, winking at me before heading up the boys' staircase and leaving me to close my eyes and stifle my smile. I swear under my breath and push my butterflies away, pressing my hands to my cheeks to cool them off as I ascend my own staircase and enter the dorm room. Everyone is lounged around on their beds, chatting with each other and glancing at me as I walk in.

"I'm just not sure I believe it," Marlene is saying, grinning wildly as Lily seems to share her excitement.

"But you would say yes if he asked?" the ginger says, both of them on Marlene's bed in their pyjamas.

"I mean, yeah. I could go for a relationship right now," she responds nonchalantly, "I just never expected him to want to commit."

They both squeal slightly, and I grin at their antics as I head over to the window and look outside, making a big deal out of my actions.

"What are you doing, Cass?" Mary asks.

"I'm just looking for the blue moon," I say before turning, "because I did not just hear that Marlene McKinnon wants a relationship."

I grin and flop down on my bed as they all laugh, getting me excited already.

"Well? What's the gossip?" I ask, and Lily walks over to her own bed and gets under her covers.

"I overheard James talking to Sirius," she starts, tying her fiery hair into a way too perfect bun atop her head, "and he said he was seriously thinking about asking Marlene out."

"What? James? I thought he had his hooks in you." I frown in confusion, getting into my own four poster as Marlene grins uncontrollably.

"No, not James." Lily rolls her eyes, "Sirius."

My smile nearly falters, but luckily I catch it, looking between the two girls.

"No way," I say, turning to the blonde, "Sirius wants to ask you out?"

She nods, squealing again, "I mean, he was always there as a hookup, but I think he's really matured in the last month. He seems like he wants to commit."

"Wow," I say, acting excited and ignoring the pit that has settled in my stomach and driven all the butterflies away. I turn to Lily, "And you heard him say that?"

"Yep," she says positively, and all my hope is crushed, "Couldn't believe it. Thought I was dreaming."

"Well, that's," I laugh dryly, trying my best to put on a mask to hide my disappointment and self spite, "that's great."

"Yeah, I give it a week," Dorcas says, not glancing up from her book as I lie down, cursing myself.

How could I be such an idiot? Honestly. I know guys like Sirius, and I know that they mess around with girls all the time. I let this get way out of hand, and now I'm paying for it.

But it hurts all the more that he's not uninterested in me because of his pact to be a player, but simply because he likes Marlene instead. He's ready to commit, just not to me.

I tug the knife from my heart and patch up the wound in one swift moment, focusing on getting a good night's sleep and winning the game tomorrow.