Confusion falls over Eddie's face and he looks over his shoulder. "Oh," he says softly. "Is something wrong?"

"Not sure, but I'm going to figure it out, alright?" He says. It feels wrong lying to Eddie- it feels wrong lying to any of his friends, really. But it's for a good reason.

Eddie nods and reaches out to grab Richie's hand, giving it a light squeeze before departing from his side and going to Bill and Mike. Richie watches as he leaves, the two up ahead easily welcoming Eddie into their conversation.

Stanley sees Richie waiting for him and his steps slow as he comes up next to him. "Hey," Stanley says slowly.

"Hello," Richie replies, side stepping to motion for Stanley to walk with him. He does, and the two trail behind the three excitedly talking with one another.

"Are you.. okay?" Richie asks, looking at the boy only to squeeze his eyes shut and shake his head. "No, that was a stupid question. I'm sorry."

When Stanley doesn't respond it only hits Richie harder in the guts. The guilt he feels weighs heavy on his chest, he feels it in every breath. Nothing of what to say comes to mind. He doesn't even know if he should say something.

"That's okay. You're.. okay, Richie."

Richie nods curtly, staring straight ahead. He doesn't know if the atmosphere is tense on only his side or
not. Stanley doesn't seem stiff as he's simply walking alongside Richie, as if there's not this messy, horrible situation tearing them apart.

"I just..." Stanley sighs, his head tilting. "I just want him to be happy."

"What do you think that is?" Richie asks.

Once again, Stanley doesn't respond right away. They get a few feet ahead, listening to Bill laugh freely at something Mike is saying, also laughing in between words.

Richie wishes he could be up there with them. He doesn't want to be dealing with this, he doesn't want to deal with anything messy.

"As much as I don't want to admit it, Richie," Stanley says at last, "But it's probably you."

Richie couldn't help but let out a laugh. "I'm not- I can't be... You make him happy, too," he attempts.

Stanley lets out a bitter laugh and brings his hands to his face, rubbing his eyes tirdly. "Shut up, Rich. I don't make him happy in the same way as you and we both know it. You have him, okay? Let's just.. let's just leave it at that."

Richie's eyes dart to him. "Just.. leave it?" He asks, "At that?"

"Yes," Stanley says, nodding. "It kinda... kinda hurts to say, but he likes you. I've known that for a while, but I don't think I wanted to admit it until recently. Pretty stupid, I know."

Richie shakes his head. "No. That's not stupid at all."

Stanley nods slightly and Richie doesn't know if he believes a word he says.

"You know, it's kinda funny- like, at the beginning of everything Bill and I used to make fun of you and Eddie. Just something I teased him about to get under his skin. I never really- never really thought too deep into it.." Stanley breathes in deeply and wipes his hands down on his pants.