Picking up the pieces

Start from the beginning

He had no where to go. He wandered around aimlessly down the street, his mind a blank slate. The sparkling Christmas lights strung up along the shops did not match his current mood. Really, he was either going to punch that blow up Santa clause right in its annoyingly bright face, or hug it.

Suddenly the phone in his numb hand sprang to life, buzzing the ringtone to one of Jiro's latest albums. The sound of her voice made him want to curl up in a ball and cry like a little kid. He answered it quickly, eyes to unfocused to read the callers ID.

"H-hello?" He cursed his weak voice for shaking.

" Kaminari? " The voice on the other end of the line was deep and monotone, immediately quelling Denki's panic. Shinsou had a hella soothing voice-

Oh shit, it was Shinsou.

Denki couldn't hide the cough that ripped past his dry lungs, sniffling and wiping his nose. How long has he been out there?

 "Kaminari," Shinsou repeated " are you sick? " 

 "...I- i don't know."

Kaminari's fingers shook as he held the phone up to his ear, breathing heavily. The only sound left was the pulse of his raging heart. Was it supposed to be beating that fast? Oh shit, he wasn't breathing.

 "...aminari?....Kaminari.... Denki!" Denki jumped at the use of his first name. "Hey, listen to me, just breath and tell me what happened. "

The words escaped Kaminari's lips in a jumbled waterfall. He wasn't sure if the explanation was understandable, but it seemed to get the point across. He was broken, and left shivering on the streets. 

"Okay, is there anyone who can pick you up?" Shinsou asked, voice remaining level and even. Kaminari was jealous of the others capability to keep a cool head. 

Was there anyone who could pick him up?

No. The answer was no. Bakugo and Kirishima were on an out of country mission with Midoriya and Todoroki. Sero would probably be on his night shift by now, and Mina... He wouldn't bother her. She was taking some much needed time off to relax at some kind of resourt. He wouldn't ruin that experience for her with his lousy issues.

So no, he would remain on the cold streets until he could find an alternative.

The silence seemed to answer the question for him. Shinsou cursed lightly on the other line, shuffling around. "Stay where you are, I got your phone pinged."

What?

 Was Shinsou planning to help him? No, he had his own night shift to attend, being an underground hero and all. "N-no, I'm fine."

A beat of silence, then a car starting up. 

" You don't sound fine. I'll be there soon, can you hold off? " 

Kaminari could already feel the pressure building up inside of his chest at the thought of Shinsou hanging up. "Yes." 

"Alright, do your breathing exercises- and Denk's?" 

 The air once again escaped Kaminari's lungs at the nickname. He wanted to hear it more. Especially from Shinsou's baritone voice. 

"Yes?"

" I'm here for you. "

The line went silent after Shinsou hung up, leaving Denki with his invasive thoughts. He got why Jiro would cheat on him, just look at him. Pathetically sitting on the snow coated park bench as the sun slowly sunk behind the buildings. 

A second wave of sadness rolled over him, this time much more intense, tightening around his neck like a noose. He was now numb to the cold, but he wished he could say the same about his emotions. Bubbling up his throat, claws ripping at his chest like hot coals. 

Then a large, warm hand cupped his tear tracked cheeks. When did he start crying again? Purple hair, much like Jiro's entered his line of sight. But those deep, lavender eyes were far diffrent. Flashing with more emotion then Denki had ever seen on her. 

A choked sob escaped his lips.

He was pulled into a warm chest, Shinsou draping a warm coat over him. "Your freezing, we need to get you back quickly." He muttered, mostly to himself. Kaminari didn't pull away when Hitoshi helped him to his feet, leading him to the car parked not too far away. 

The energy was sapped from his bones as he leaned his cheek against the cars window. Sorrow never leaving, only becoming heavier in the dark atmosphere of the car. 

Appreciation buzzed in his chest when Hitoshi didn't ask any questions, instead opting to change the station to a smooth jazz song, filling in the silence. Kaminari wasn't completely sure how long it would take to emotionally recover enough to look Jiro in the eyes again. To look himself in the mirror and not see the idiot every one else saw. 

But, as Shinsou pulled a blanket over him, allowing Kaminari to rest against his chest as broken sobs wrenched past his throat, whispering sweet nothing's into his ear with that hypnotic voice. He realized that one person was all it took to build you up again after your walls were wrecked.

Hitoshi was that person.