Chapter 21~ Bruises

Start from the beginning

  "Great," I murmur, lowering my hand from my neck.

  "Where's my brother?" I ask, suddenly longing for one of his hugs.

  "Down by the dock, with Pope and Kie. They're testing out that drone for later on."

"Can you go get him for me?" I ask quietly and JJ nods before sliding off the bed.

  Once he shuts my door behind him I climb out of my bed and walk over to my mirror.

  I was still wearing Rafe's hoodie and sweatpants and I sighed when I thought about returning them. I really didn't want to see him today.

  I slowly pull his hoodie off to reveal bruises all along my wrist and on my ribs and stomach. I grimace at the sight.

  I pull off my sweatpants and replace them with a pair of grey shorts and a grey-blue hoodie.

  I tie my hoodie and try to pull it up to cover the marks on my neck.

  I was in the middle of brushing my hair when John B walked in.

  "Hey loser," I smile as I set down my brush.

  "Hey butt face," John B smiles slightly before pulling me into his arms.

  "I'm sorry I snuck out, I should've just listened to you, " I murmur as I rest my head against his shoulder.

  "I should've just went with you Izzy. I swear I'm going to kill that bastard," John B says and I pull slightly away to look up at him.

  "I can't tell if you're serious or not," I say as I study his face.

  "Guess it's better if you don't know," John B grins and ruffles my hair playfully.

  "I miss dad," I say suddenly.

"I miss him too," JB sighs before pulling me against him again.

  "Remember that song he used to sing to us when we were little?" I ask and John slowly smiles.

  "How could I forget, you ran around the house singing it at the top of your lungs."

  "Will you sing it for me?" I ask, moving to sit at the edge of my bed.

  "I'm no better at singing than you are Izzy," John B laughs as I give him puppy dog eyes.

  "Please JB."

  "Fine," He groans as he sits down beside me.

  I smile and turn to face him, crossing my legs as I watch him expectantly.

  "Down by the bay," He begins reluctantly as a grin spreads across my face.

  "Where the watermelons grow," He continues, "Back to my home, I dare not go-"

  "For if I do," I cut in and John B rolls his eyes, "My mother will say..."

  "Have you ever seen a duck driving a truck, down by the bay?" We say together before we both burst out laughing.

•   •   •

   "You kids get these groceries over to Figure 8. Get straight back here when you're done," Heyward says as he hands JJ and Pope the bags, "No fishing, I promised delivery by tomorrow."

  I adjust my sunglass as I watch them stack the groceries onto the boat.

  After 20 minutes of trying to convince my brother and JJ they'd finally given in.