memory extraction

En başından başla

Perhaps he was sent home during the war because his parents were scared he'd hurt himself.  But wouldn't I have remembered that?  I slowed down and tried to think, staring intensely at the wall.  But I couldn't remember anything!

"We need you at the front lines," Fred Weasley said from behind me me.  I spun around to face him, and wasn't surprised to see his twin, George, beside him, giving me a look of encouragement.

"We're Dumbledore's Army," George smiled, "we can't let him down."

I nodded slowly, trying to ignore Draco's absence.  I followed them back through the corridor before I cleared my throat.

"Where's Draco?  Do either of you know?" I asked them before entering the courtyard.  I could hear loud noises from the outside of stone golems and protection spells, which heightened my anxiety.  The war was starting soon, and we needed to hurry. They both looked at each other and swallowed.

"He's probably, um," Fred began, trying to think.  I assumed they were as confused as I was about his absence.

"He's probably in there somewhere," George nodded slowly.  He then looked to Fred again and shrugged.

"I'm really sorry about all that happening," Fred said.  "It wasn't your fault... you couldn't have prevented it."

"What?" I asked them.  What on earth were they talking about?  They looked at each other again.

"Are you... feeling alright?" George asked.  Suddenly a large blast echoed from across the courtyard.  We all jumped and spun around, staring at the spells being casted against the protecting dome around Hogwarts. We all nervously nodded to one another before running off to our positions we all assigned ourselves.

My heart beat rapidly as I tried to ignore all of the confusing signs about Draco's absence.  I clutched my wand and stared at the cascading dome around us, watching the magic give out.  I stared at the darkened sky and then the mountains, where hundreds of Deatheaters stood.  I grimaced again. How terribly lost a person must be to ever become a Deatheater.

///

Adrenaline had flowed through my veins until I was numb.  The repetitive protection spells, the tears that were shed over every lost student and the impatient waiting for Draco made me feel exhausted.

I had keeled over alone in a hallway just hours ago, sobbing over a war that felt like we had lost.  Friends I had once held close to me were now laying peacefully down in the Great Hall, millions of miles away from us all.  Seeing everyone mourning over bravery lost during the battle tore me to pieces.  Anger shot through me as I casted into oblivion.

Harry's death had been announced when I was in the Great Hall, hugging a friend, Luna Lovegood, tightly.  Neither of us had been able to sleep after Voldemort's announcement the night prior.  Harry had left, Hermione told us, and we were left to secretly hope that Voldemort wouldn't hurt him or us. But that was optimistic.

I stepped out and into the courtyard to see the remainder of the Deatheaters staring back at us.  Harry was laying lifelessly in Hagrid's arms.  My breath hitched when I saw him, biting my lip harshly as a way to keep quiet.  Hermione was right.  Harry was gone.

I scanned the crowd of students silently, hoping to see Draco standing with us.  I needed an explanation.  I continued looking, feeling my eyes burn as I faced the reality of his absence.

Voldemort began his speech, but my eyes fell to the ground, feeling tears leak from my eyes and on to my cheeks.  The world wasn't right anymore.  Innocent people had died, Harry was gone, Draco wasn't here.  It felt like nothing was right.  Like the world had stopped spinning.