I Hate That I Don't Hate Him

Start from the beginning

A shot of frustration threatened to overwhelm me. I know it was awkward that we'd basically made out when we'd stayed together at the Chateau last night, but he didn't have to completely ignore me.

He'd gone to sleep without saying another word to me and he'd been gone in the morning. Even later when we'd met up with everyone he hadn't said so much as a word to me.

John B looked at us all annoyed, sidestepping the dense shrubbery to go towards the creepy stone house.

We all gave each other a look, but followed him reluctantly.

"You know whose house this is, right?" Kie asked.

But John B didn't seem to believe the stories we'd all heard as kids.

"I swear to god guys, this is all real. I knew Hollis". JJ ranted, frantically spinning his tale about how Hollis Crain had been his babysitter and told him all about her mother's gruesome murdering of her father.

"Jeez!" he jumped, startled by the stone statue that appeared in front of us.

I chuckled and shot him a look, and he immediately avoided my gaze.

A pang of hurt shot through me.

Minutes later, we'd finally managed to sneak into the house's basement. It was dark and dingy in there, and I was reluctant to follow John B in at all but did it anyway.

As my eyes adjusted to the darkness a weird doll came into view and in my moment of surprise and fear I grabbed John B's arm. He looked at me questioningly and gave me a comforting squeeze. 

JJ gave us a weird look and shoved past us, separating me and John B in the process. John B gave me a confused look, shrugging as if to say it was normal weird JJ behavior.

I knew it wasn't.

I glared at the back of his blond scruffy head, regret and anger battling for dominance in my blood.

The moment we'd shared last night had been amazing, and I'd realized I was definitely attracted to him. But then he'd gone and given me whiplash. Did he not like me? Was that really just some drunken mistake to him?

Clearly it was just a drunken mistake to him. He was probably embarrassed and that's why he was ignoring me. 

God, this is why there was a no pogue-on-pogue macking rule.

He's so irritating and I want to hate him so badly but deep down I think I know I don't. 

I hate that I don't hate him.

---

Oh boy

Oh boy.

I didn't think the tension in our group could escalate any further, but then John B had gone and brought Sarah to our meeting on the porch.

I'd given him an incredulous look when he walked in followed by her. I gave her a tentative smile but looked at John B worriedly knowing her and Kiara had a past and when she arrived she would not take this well.

"John B" I warned, giving him a look.

But it was too late, Kie was storming in.

"No effing way! You brought her here are you serious John B?"

"Look. All I care about. Is that her cut comes out of your share" JJ said, interrupting and shaking his head as he took a pull from his juul. I looked at him incredulously from across the porch. I'd sat as far away from him as possible because two could play at this game.

No one ignores Athena, and especially not a stupid boy.

I shot him a glare for good measure, and he looked away hurriedly.

"I gotta say, I am a tad uncomfortable with all this" Pope added his two cents.

"When are you not uncomfortable", John B deadpanned, getting defensive.

"I don't know, I rode here on the back of JJ's bike... pretty comfortably".

The image of Pope perched on the back of JJ's dirt bike, holding on for dear life, almost made me smile at JJ, before I remembered we were ignoring each other.

"Its true. Most relaxed I've ever seen him".

I hid my laughter. I missed him. I missed my friend. This is the kind of banter we usually shared. The kind we'd both laugh at together.

"You guys this isn't funny". I stated. "Some serious shit has happened in the past few days and you're acting like it's a joke"

"Yeah, last night was crazy", Kie digressed.

"I know, you made Ti a kook". JJ joked, looking at her sideways.

I shot a glare his way. He'd been ignoring me all day, and now he was going to make fun of me?

Everyone looked between us strangely, not understanding where the animosity was stemming from when just the night before we'd been getting along perfectly.

John B shook his head. "Guys-"

"Cut the bullshit John B. If she's in, I'm out. It's her or me." Kie yelled.

"I pick both."

I winced. So to Kie it would feel like he was picking Sarah, basically.

"Whatever" Kie stormed out.

I gave a sigh, looking at the boys, rolling my eyes, and following her out without saying a word.

"I'd just like to say, you handled that beautifully" I heard JJ's voice faintly say to John B as I left.

I choked down a laugh. Even when I hated him, he could always make me laugh.

---

Word count: 1286

---

Sorry for the late updates bros I just would rather put out good chapters than mediocre ones just because I'm rushing them to try to get them out every night or every other night. I'll do my best but please don't be mad if my updates aren't as perfectly regular as they used to be! :(

That being said, hope you liked it! Started writing the next chapter already and its gonna be muy picante I'm excited for it.

Much love,

Athena