Neglected

The Membrane house was never occupied with noise other than the 8-bit background music from the only occupant's game switch. No other Membrane claims the living room but the girl with purple hair. No one was home but her, which basically makes her the queen of the house.  It was fine, it's peaceful and quiet, just what she needs without interruption from the new game that she bought, she's in the boss level after all. Both of her thumbs emit hasten clicking sounds from clicking each necessary button to prepare her next move. Each click is simultaneously transmitted to the character's programmed controls.

Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right,

BOOM!

Her special move activated her swift combo technique.

She watched her avatar perform the swift kicks and punches as it takes a direct uppercut on the other character's chin, making the boss make it's dramatic animated downfall. The words "YOU WIN!" flashed on her screen with bright colors, the screen popped up with ranking results. Gaz's mouth twitched upwards to see her ranking has been promoted from Mentor to Master.

Though, she didn't feel like silently celebrating like she used to, it just felt weird right now. She didn't know when she started feeling all blue all of a sudden. Gaz didn't notice her grip on the game switch slightly limped.

Was it because of the lack of recognition for a small accomplishment? No, that can't be, she thought. Gaz didn't really care even if someone did.

Was it the lack of noise? No, she liked the eerie silence just right.

Or was it the lack of company?

Gaz has never considered thinking that since she's capable of being alone and independent, she can handle herself just fine. But, she feels, empty.

Ever since Dib accepted the internship at Membrane Labs at the age of 16, he started coming home later than when he was part of the Swollen Eyeball Network. That day was the day when their dad became so proud of his "insane son". That happened a year ago and the house couldn't get anymore lonelier than it was without his stupid big headed brother rambling about monsters, aliens, and Bigfeet. Everytime "Mysterious Mysteries" is showing on the big TV, by instinct, Gaz would grunt knowing that Dib would be trudging downstairs and claim the big TV. But that doesn't seem to happen anymore. She almost patted the empty space beside her but stopped,thinking that this is stupid, she shouldn't be feeling like this, Dib is a nuisance that had been ridden off of her hair.

The jingle of the keys interrupted the silent living room.

Ah, it must be Dib. Gaz thought

But she didn't expect her dad to be entering the living room. Why is dad here? What time is it anyway, Gaz thought. She glanced at the clock and saw that it was already 12:45, Dib should've been home before 11:30

"Gazlene! It's pass your bedtime, nothing troubling you here at home I hope?" Professor Membrane asked with a gleeful tone. Gaz ignored his father's question and asked "Dad, where's Dib?" She said, looking at her dad at the reflection of the big TV, her eyes squinting furthermore because of her poor vision.

Professor Membrane snapped his finger in thought and his face lit up "Ah! He's back at the lab inventing a newer version of super toast!