XXVII. Skittle Farting Fairy

Start from the beginning

"Then, who is your roommate?" I asked.

"No one."

"That can happen?"

She nods, "Yeah."

Then, the realization occurred. "Can I be your roommate?"

"No."

"What? Why not?"

"Because it's still on record that my roommate is here."

"Huh?"

She grabbed another bottle of nail polish, "She's staying at a hotel room with some guy."

"I'm very lost."

Crystal shook the bottle, "Aren't you always?" She grinned playfully, "Yeah. I found out she wanted to be with this scholarship guy that her parents disapprove of. If you're wondering why - it's because he's poor and she has some prior engagement."

"Like she's engaged?"

She twisted the bottle and took out the brush. "Yup. So, I told her I'd rent out a hotel room for them. They can stay there for the rest of the year. Be all lovey-dovey and shit."

"Just like that?"

She placed her fingers in front of her face, "Just like that."

***

I slam the door open. "Josh! You can't believe what happened today!"

Josh sat there with a remote control in his hands, fingers maneuvering rigorously. "Give me a second! I'm about to whup this guy a-ahhhh!" He leaned in closer and shot. "I'm dead," his tone was bland.

I can hear a high pitched laugh coming from the headphone set. Glancing at the screen, I saw - Hi Hailey - and knew Josh was playing video games with one of his little brothers.

I hurried towards Josh and screamed: "Hi!" causing him to flinch.

"Hailey, I whoop Josh as- I mean butt!" I realize it was Caleb.

Josh rolled his eyes, "You think you're better than me, huh."

"I don't think! I kno-"

"That's right. You don't think!" Josh sang before logging out of the game so Caleb can't sass him back.

I rolled my eyes, knowing Josh purposely lost the game so Caleb can win. Anyone could see Josh was barely on the verge of a championship.

He placed the remote control down and took off the headset. "So, you got something to tell me?"

I nodded, "Earlier-"

"Wait for a second," Josh said. He walked towards the cabinets and grabbed a bag of popcorn. He threw it in the microwave, resting in the corner, then grabbed two cans of soda from the mini-fridge. He took two glasses, filled them with ice, and poured the drink inside.

I leaned against the bed as he took out the hot bag repeating: "Hot. Hot." Then he poured it out in a large bowl. Josh placed it down in front of us and grabbed two bendy straws. He sat down beside me, sipping on the soda. "I'm ready."

I placed two fingers in the air for dramatic effect. "Crystal has no roommate!"

He took a few blinks before yanking the bowl of popcorn from my hands. "Here, I thought you got some juicy secret to spill. You don't deserve this," he said before taking the glass of soda from me.

"She has no roommate!"

He rolled his eyes. "So?"

"Isn't it weird?"