Tonight, I was the girl in the red dress.

I felt like being noticed. Maybe it was because I was tired of not being seen. Maybe it was because I was tired of being the invisible girl on the sidelines. I told myself it didn't have anything to do with a certain blond boy who only saw me as a friend.

I felt beautiful, and I hadn't felt that in a long time. 

When Kiara and I had breezed in through the entrance behind her parents, heads had turned. 

My instinct was to shrink away, knowing that I did not belong here dressed like this. 

But tonight I was the girl in the red dress. 

And just for the night, I decided the girl in the red dress would have fun. She'd forget about her problems, and she'd dance the night away with her best friend. The girl in the red dress, she belonged here.

Kie and I had managed to sneak a few drinks before our arrival, and had just enough coursing through our veins to let loose in the crowd as the dance floor filled up.

"This is definitely better with you here" she laughed. 

"Glad to be of service". I bowed.

A familiar silhouette caught my peripheral vision, and I swear my heart stopped.

I hadn't known JJ would be working this event and I was sure if he was he would have mentioned it. But there he was, clothed in server attire, bow tie and everything, turning a corner with a tray full of empty glasses.

Did I just imagine that?

"I um- I have to go to the bathroom, I'll be right back."

"Oh I'll come with you!"

"No that's okay, stay and dance! I'll be right back."

Kiara gave me strange look but didn't follow me when I turned around to leave, losing myself quickly in the crowd.

I pushed through people in my attempts to go in the same direction I'd seen him disappear to, but only managed to bump into a hard chest. 

"Sor-" My apology halted in its tracks when I saw who I'd run into. Rafe Cameron.

Panic jumped up through my chest, clawing up at my throat. He just gave me an annoyed glance, turning away again. A moment later he swiveled his head to look at me again, giving me a double take as if he hadn't immediately recognized me.

I was a deer caught in his headlights. 

"Well, well, well..." he drawled, clearly amused. "Look who we have here." he tilted his head to the side, giving me a predatory gaze, not looking away for a second, nudging Kelce and Topper beside him. "Look what we have here boys".

Topper turned around, looking me up and down appreciatively with his eyes, but his mouth turning into a mocking smirk. "Well isn't it the pogue princess, all dressed up!" 

Suddenly I snapped back out of my frozen state, whirling around to get away. 

"Cinderella!" they yelled mockingly after me.

I rushed through the crowd, somehow losing them even though they'd tried to follow me.

Unsettled and starting to hyperventilate a bit, I grabbed a cocktail from a nearby tray as it flew past me, downing it and putting it down without a glance for the flustered cocktail waitress who held it.

I scrambled away, seeing a a shaggy blonde head weaving through the crowd across the room. 

Even for a waiter he looked out of place with his scruffy hair and the still very apparent bruises and cuts on his face.