Chapter 5: Don't Leave Me

I sit there, on the edge of my bed, my legs hanging off my bed, crying. Unable to stop. 

Suddenly there's a knock on my bedroom door, l quickly wipe my tears and ask who's there. 

"It's JJ, can l come in?" 

l sigh, "yeah come in" 

JJ walks in and closes the door behind him, his smile drops as soon as he sees my face. "Kie? What's wrong?" he asks softly as he takes a seat beside me. 

l sniff "nothing, l just miss him" 

"l miss him too, but hey it'll be okay" he cups my hands in his. 

My heart beats faster. "Promise me you won't try a stunt like that again" l turn and look into his eyes.

"l promise" my eyes dart to his lips for a second but l quickly turn my head and rest my head on his shoulder instead. 

He intertwines our fingers. I can feel my heart beating like crazy. l-l want to kiss him. So bad. But l- l can't, he's a flirt and he probably doesn't even feel the same way. We sit there, on the edge of my bed in silence for a few minutes, just enjoying the warmth of each other. 

"KIARA" interrupts our moment and l jump off my bed and so does JJ. "come here" it's my dad, and he's mad, l walk out of my room and shut the door behind me, leaving JJ alone in my room. 

"Dad? what's wrong?" 

"Tell JJ to go see his dad". 

"What why?" 

"His dad came in today, drunk and angry, he threatened my customers if JJ didn't go home, so Kie JJ has to go" 

"What no?!! l am not letting him go to that monster just so he can beat JJ up again! No dad no!" before my dad can respond l turn around and go back into my room and slam the door behind me. 

"What was that about??" 

"Oh nothing just my dad being my dad, come on, let's go find Pope and go surf or something" l get my stuff and head out before JJ can respond or ask more questions. 

---

"Where'd JJ go?" Pope questions looking around. We're sitting in my dad's restaurant eating fries. 

"He said he had to get something" 

"So how is it? Living with JJ?" 

"Why would you ask that?" 

"Just making conversation?" Pope raises his eyebrows "wait a minute! omg, Kieeee you and JJ??!!! ah, I KNEW IT" 

"What no Pope there is no me and JJ, we're just friends" 

He smirks at me "mhm" 

"Really Pope we aren't" 

"Then how come you're so defensive about it?" 

"What no I'm not- I'm not being defensive. seriously" this isn't going well. "omg Pope wipe that smug look off your face" l throw fry at him. 

"YOU AND JJ-" 

"Pope shut up omg he might hear you" 

"Omg Kie!! you're blushing wow he got you GOOD" 

I can feel my cheeks flush even more "no stop- he doesn't even feel the same" 

"Have you asked him?" 

"Well no but-" 

"Then how are you so sure??" 

"Because it's JJ! He's the biggest flirt ever" 

"Yeah with YOU" 

l shake my head "no l-l doubt it" 

Pope continues smiling and smirking " sure whatever you say Kie"

---

I come home to get JJ since he never came back after going to get whatever he needed to get. "JJ? you here?" l walk into the guest bedroom only to find it empty, "hello JJ??" l walk over to the bed only to see his stuff gone and replaced with a note, l pick it up and read it:

Kie,

I overheard you and your dad and l dont wanna be any trouble to you or your parents so I'm going to head home to finally sort things out with my dad. ill be okay. thanks for letting me crash at yours for a while. 

- JJ 

Oh no. l run out of the room and run all the way to JJ's house, there's no way I'm letting him get hurt again.