"Why are you shutting down again?" He asked, softly. "Something happened since we left Hogwarts. You're acting different." She scoffed slightly at his comment.

"I am different now." She mumbled. "I'm not going to be that person anymore."

"Tell me why, Adalinda." His tone was firm now, concern dripping from it.

"I can't, Fred. You'd never look at me the same." She blinked a few times, not speaking again. When he didn't answer, she ran a hand through her hair. "I think, maybe it might be better if we stop this." She whispered.

"What?"

"I mean, with everything going on, it might be safer if we stop seeing each other."

"No, I got the point. I just think it's a rubbish idea." He dismissed her. "You just said I was your favourite person, and now you want to end this?"

"I don't want to, I just think it might be better." She looked down at her arm. She could see the mark even if it was covered. She studied it so hard each day, she saw the picture everywhere she went. It haunted her entire life.

"Addy, you have to tell me why. Stop closing off, I care about you and I'm not going to leave." She gave an incredulous look.

"You will," it was almost a promise. "You really would leave if you knew, Fred."

"I'll swear it. I can't break a promise. If I do, you'll have to kill me." She debated his words. "There's nothing you have to keep a secret. I want to support you, no matter what." This time, she laughed. It was cool and dry, completely empty.

"If I show you, nobody can ever know." She said, darkly. Uncertainty bubbled in Fred's stomach as he watched her bottom lip quiver. He thought he saw a tear form in her eye, but she wiped it away.

"You're scaring me."

"Good, maybe it'll keep you away."

"Nothing could ever do that." Again with dismissal, he spoke with certainty. She looked over at him, jaw hard-set, and gripped at the bottom of her sleeve. In a quick, ripping motion, she pulled it up. It was like she was angry with herself for even doing so. Fred's mouth stood agape as he looked at the snake and skull dancing on her pale skin. As he watched it, a tear dripped down her face.

"My father made me do it when I got off the train." She pulled her sleeve back down, containing the ugly brand. "That's why you should stay away from me."

"But it wasn't your choice, was it?" She shook her head, wiping her face.

"It's never been my choice. If I had a say, I wouldn't even be living in that house anymore." Fred debated his actions, but leaned forward and kissed her. "Fred, you can't. It's too dangerous. I'll ruin your life." She pushed him away half heartedly. "I care about you too much to bring you into this."

"And I care about you too much to let you go." He said, finality in his voice. "I got away with having you as my girlfriend in the first place, and I'm not letting you get away that easy. There are plenty of people that have that mark who don't support You-Know-Who anymore." He pulled her face into his hands. "You were forced to become one, it's not who you are."

"It doesn't matter who I am anymore. I'm forced to be this person. If I don't follow the rules, I die. Or someone else I love, like Draco, or my mother, or you, Fred!" She cried. "I'm not going to be responsible for you getting hurt."

"You won't be." He argued. "It's my decision, and I told you I'd stick by you. Here I am, not leaving. I don't break promises."

"You're putting yourself in danger."

"For love. If I let you go, I'd be miserable. I might as well go out fighting for someone I need by my side." She couldn't find anything else to say. Despite knowing the awfulness of her actions, she brought him into a kiss. She wanted to get up, to leave him there and never speak to him again. She knew it'd be the only way he'd be safe. Still, she couldn't help but feel overwhelmed by the amount of love she held for Fred. There was no certainty that he would be safe even if they weren't together. Maybe if she knew what was happening first hand, she could protect him and let him know before something happened. Even with that thought, she knew he'd be better off without her in his life. He'd be safe and he could find someone who he didn't have to hide with. "Addy, I care for you. Over the year we've been doing this, I really fell hard. I couldn't imagine being with anyone else now, it wouldn't feel right to me. I know that I want to have a life with you, no matter how bad things get. I'd rather die happy than live a miserable life."

"Your big heart is going to get you hurt." She whispered, placing a hand on the back of his neck. "It's your best and worst feature." She smiled. "I think I could fall in love with you, Fred Weasley."

"I think I already have, Addy."