"the office," john b said.

"such a good show," hannah mumbled, taking another hit.

"no, no," john b shook his head, "my dad's office." the teens followed their friend into the chateau. "he always kept his office locked up because he was worried about his competitors stealing his research. we used to laugh at him, like he was actually gonna find it, but, now that he's gone, i've kinda just left it as he kept it."

"yeah, for when he gets back," kie tried to cheer him up. john b nodded before reaching into his pocket and pulling out a set of keys.

pope watched as john b turned the lock and pushed open the door. "i've slept over here like 600 times and i've never seen this door open."

"here, look," john b called, "this is the original owner right here." he pointed to a picture of a bearded man in a button down.

"robert q. routledge," kie read, "1880-1920. there's a lucky compass right there."

john b smile sheepishly. "actually, uh, he was, um, shot right after he bought it. then, the compass was shipped back to henry. he was killed in a crop-dusting incident when he had the compass. after he died, the compass was given to stephen. stephen had the compass when he died in vietnam."

"oh, let me guess," jj interrupted, "he died in action?"

john b let out a nervous chuckle. "sort of, uh, actually, he was killed by a banana truck. in country." hannah couldn't help the small snort that escaped her lips, causing her friends to glare at her. "anyways," john b continued, "after that, stephen passed the compass down to my dad."

"ah jeez," hannah muttered.

"sounds like there's a recurring theme here," jj pointed out.

"yeah, um, you have a death compass," pope stated.

john b rolled his eyes. "i do not."

"you totally have a death compass," hannah said.

jj nodded. "get rid of it. it's cursed and it's made its way back to you."

"look, my dad used to talk about this secret compartment in here. soldiers used to hide secret notes," john b said whilst unscrewing the back of the compass.

"what's that," kie asked, pointing to the engraving inside.

"that wasn't there before. this is my dad's handwriting."

"how do you know that?" pope questioned.

"because he does these weird 'R's, look!" john b showed the boy.

jj leaned down to get a better look. "can i see it?" john b tilted the compass to show jj. "red-rr-rout? no, i think it's an A."

"it said redfield," kie deadpanned.

jj rubbed his neck bashfully. "right."

"okay, well, what is redfield?" pope asked. "besides the most common name in the county."

"maybe it's a clue," john b gasped excitedly. "maybe it's a clue as to where he's hiding!"

hannah winced at his words. personally, she didn't believe that big john was alive, but she wasn't going to be the one to tell john b that.

pope, however, was more vocal about his beliefs. "a clue? come on, man, that's-" kie elbowed his side, causing him to grunt. "but, if it is a clue, maybe it's an anagram?"

if john b had heard pope's earlier statement, he pretended to not have as he rushed to find a pen and paper. "yes! perfect! an anagram! you need paper." john b passed pope a sheet of blank paper and watched as he began to write out random words.

"how can you concentrate with that thing constantly crowing at you?" pope grumbled as the rooster crowed loudly outside.

hannah shrugged. "i don't. birds annoy me."

"yeah, well, jj loves the rooster," john b replied.

"jj loves me more," hannah stuck her tongue out at john b.

"i love the rooster," kie remarked. "seriously, think."

pope began mumbling out random words as the crew listened intently, meanwhile hannah was distracted by the sound of a car door slamming. john b noticed the girl's distracted state and looked to see a black pickup truck parked in front of the chateau. "shit, guys, someone's here."

"is that them?" kie asked referring to the men who had shot at them the day before.

"this is suboptimal," pope gasped.

"i don't even know what that means," hannah hissed.

jj began nervously pacing back and forth. "john b, i told you! why does it always-"

hannah placed her hands on either side of the boy's head, forcing him to look at her. "hey-hey! jay, look at me." jj's chest was heaving as he tried to calm his breathing. "where's the gun?"

"gun? i, uh, i can't-"

"now, you don't have the gun," kie threw her arms up. "the one time we need it!"

hannah kept her hands on jj's face. "please, jay, try to remember."

"it was in my backpack, and then i-"

"on the porch," john b said.

"it's on the porch!" jj exclaimed, rushing to go grab it.

"john routledge!" a loud voice boomed, startling the teens.

tears began to pool in kie's eyes. "guys!"

"come out now!" the voice called again.

jj stumbled back into the room. "where's the compass?"

"where's the gun?" john b replied.

"they're on the front porch, guys," jj gasped.

"get out here!" the voice was coming closer.

"guy's we gotta leave," hannah said shakily.

"okay, uh, window! window!" kie yelped, flinching when she heard a crash coming from down the hall. "what's happening? why is it taking so long?"

"it's painted shut, oay?" jj snapped.

hannah fumbled around for something sharp, before handing kie a letter opener which she began using to chip away the paint.

"where the hell is that compass?"

"check the back room!"

"hurry up!" jj demanded, pulling hannah into his arms in an attempt to calm her down.

"i'm going as fast as i can!"

pope and john b shushed the two, pressing their backs against the door to barricade it. "you better not be in there!" a gun shot echoed through the house as the men shot at the door handle. kie quickly slid open the door and ushered them all out before hiding in the chicken coop.

the teens squished together, holding their breaths and praying the men wouldn't find them when the rooster started crowing. hannah glanced at the men through a crack in the wood, sucking in a breath when one of the men began to walk over to investigate.

"do something, pope!" jj hissed. "shut him up!"

"what do you want me to do?" pope whispered aggressively.

"pet it? talk to it? i don't know!" kie croaked, her eyes glistening with unshed tears.

the man was steadily making his way to the coop when the rooster started crowing even louder. "someone do something!" pope said.

jj suddenly lunged forward, grabbing the rooster by the neck and choking it before continuing to slam it on the ground until he heard a snap. tears began streaming down kie's face and hannah pulled the sobbing girl into her arms. john b held tightly to kie's other hand, drawing small circles on her knuckles with his thumb until they heard one of the men call out, "ratter, what the hell are you doing? let's go," and the sound of truck pull away.