2: You won't suck at this

I arrived there, out of breath because I had run from the bus stop to the store. I didn't even care that I was late to work. I just hoped I didn't miss Taron.

"Hey" I said, out of breath as I walked into the store.

I knew something was off when Jenny met my eyes. Our boss Luke was here. He wasn't here unless something was off.

"Melissa" he said when he saw me, his voice hard "Late again, are you?"

A cold shiver ran through me "I was stuck in traffic and –"

Oh God I needed this job. How would I pay my bills without it?

"It was the last time, I swear"

I needed to be more careful. But New York City traffic was unpredictable.

"Indeed" he said like the idiot he was "We have to let you go"

I blinked "What? No. I will work more hours and be punctual from now on"

He barked out a laugh and I flinched "I don't think so. We saw the video tapes too"

I raised my eyebrows. Video tapes? It wasn't like I had shoplifted or something.

"And?" I asked, my anger starting to get clearer in my voice.

"And –" he barked "You're flirting with customers. That's an absolute no-no and if you had read our company policy, you would have known that"

I had to hold back from rolling my eyes at him. I didn't flirt with customers. And Taron was something different entirely.

"Grab your things and hand me your name tag, lanyard and keys. I'll escort you out"

I felt like crying but I wouldn't give him that satisfaction.

I rummaged through my bag and practically threw the things at him.

Then I glanced over at Jenny as I turned around and went to leave. She looked at me worriedly, sadly and mouthed "I'll call you later"

I smiled lightly and walked down the street, as far away from my ex-boss as possible.

My thoughts were a mess. I breathed hard as I tried to think positive but failed. How would I pay my bills? I would have to find a new job, as in right now.

"Melissa?"

I knew that voice and my heart leaped. What was he doing here?

I stopped dead in my tracks and people streamed past us. I met Taron's eyes and smiled.

"Taron? What are you doing here?"

I had totally forgotten that he wanted to come by the store again. Until now.

He smiled half-heartedly "I need a new shirt"

"Another?" I had to laugh.

"Are you on a break?" he asked slowly "I can come by later"

I looked down and gulped. "No. I just got fired"

"What?" his eyes widened "Why?"

I shrugged. They had basically fired me because I was always late, and because I had flirted with Taron. But I couldn't tell him that, now could I?

"Long story" I said quietly.

He hesitated and I didn't even blame him. We weren't friends and he didn't even have to care. But something told me he did care.

"Do you want to grab coffee?" he asked.

I smiled half-heartedly "You don't have to do that"

He was probably busy anyway.

"I want to" he insisted "Come on"

I sat down at a table for two by the window. I had seen Pret-A-Manger store's before but I had never been to one.

I glanced at Taron who got coffee for us and only now took in his outfit. Baggy green pants with pockets on his thighs, a white tee and what seemed like a cashmere cardigan.

Oh, holy hell. I loved layers, and specifically on him.

I gulped and smiled when he walked towards me and sat down opposite me.

"Thank you"

"Of course" he said, his voice soft

Neither of us spoke for a while and I didn't want things to be awkward between us. But what was I supposed to say?

"Do you want to talk about what happened?" he asked eventually.

I let out a breath. He wouldn't understand. He was rich, and even though he was humble about it, he didn't have to care about money ever again.

"But I don't want to intrude" Taron continued.

"No, it's not that" I said quietly "It's just that I don't know how to pay my bills now"

Urgh, I shouldn't have blurted it out like that.

"Maybe I can help you out" Taron's reply wasn't what I had expected.

I raised my eyebrows "What? No!" I tried to laugh it off.

"Why not?" he furrowed his brows.

"What job?" I asked incredulously.

I came up with a lot of ideas, but none of them were professional.

He looked at me as if he didn't quite get why I reacted that way. And neither did I, to be honest.

"My stylist will take more time for his family" he said "Hell, I don't even blame him"

I frowned. What had him say that? I bet he often missed his own family.

"It means I'm missing a stylist" his eyes met mine.

I shivered. Did he really think I could do that job? I had never been a stylist to anyone but myself.

"But – but I don't have any experience in the field" I said even though I wanted to work for him. Badly.

He didn't seem worried at all, because he laughed.

I had to grin because his smile was so infectious. My belly flipped whenever he smiled or even just looked at me.

"You don't have to. I think you'd do just fine" he seemed excited.

I gulped. I didn't even know what came with the job. But I also needed the money and liked Taron. I was sure it was great to work with him.

And dress him? Pick out his outfits? Hell yes.

"You can think about it and call me when you decided" Taron said.

I looked at my coffee cup, then at him. What did I have to lose?

"I'll take the job" I said, smiling.

He returned my smile "Okay, great. You can start effective immediately and Gareth will let you in on the necessary details"

"Gareth?" I frowned.

"Oh, he's my stylist" he grinned "Until you take over"

"Okay" I sighed "But I'll probably suck at this"

At least I would get to spend some time with him before he would fire me.

He chuckled "You won't suck at this"