▪2▪

Finally, Michael pulled up to a little brown house off in the middle of the woods. John slowly stepped out of the car and shut the door. When the door slammed shut it shocked John and made him jump.

“Hey… You okay man?” Michael asked with genuine concern. 

“Um … Yeah. You take Daniel and go on inside.” John said turning away to face the trees that surrounded them. Michael opened his mouth as if he wanted to say something. He closed his mouth, deciding against it. He grabbed Daniel’s hand as they started to skip together towards the house. 
John walked towards a bench he had made and put in the middle of the woods. He sat down and put his head in his hands. Sobs could be heard from John. He cried and cried. He still couldn't believe that his wife died. And it was because of him. She died trying to get things to save their family. Karen had to go instead of John because John couldn't. 

The Dust Bowl had taken his wife’s life. It stole her soul and her body. She went to Kansas only a couple miles west and she got caught in the Dust Bowl. John made Karen leave because he said that his work was more important. He said that mining was more important than his family’s survival. 

‘If only I would’ve gone instead of her. She would have got to live the life she wanted. If only I would've gone instead.’ Thoughts like these filled John’s head. He stood up from his spot and started to walk around, hoping the voices would leave his mind.