Roommate meets Roommate

He was not just handsome, but stunning. No one would tell he was actually not straight. Was I being racist? No, I'm just telling what I felt, honestly.

" Hello, I'm Ryan Bailey", he introduced extending his hand.
"Hey, I'm Samantha Burns", I shook it.

"Burns?", he smirked, "That's a rather funny name".

Funny? Wait, what is he doing in the first place making fun of my family name?

"See Ryan, you're here to look at the apartment and see whether you like it or not, not comment on my surname", I frowned.

"Oops, sorry. Did I press the wrong buttons?" he asked before taking a sip from his cup of green tea and grimacing. Turns out he's a fan of coffee..... and I hate coffee.

"Anyways", he continued,"I don't want to look at the apartment", when I was about to interrupt and ask if he was kidding me, he held up a hand and said " Wait, hear me out. What I meant was that I just wanted to have a look at your attitude towards me. you know, gay people in general. I'm pretty alright if the room is not very comfortable. I just want a roommate who will respect me."

"No worries about that. Did Debby tell you about my previous roommate?", I asked, in case he'd made wrong assumptions about me.

"Yeah, that's why I had doubts about this". Great, he did make assumptions.

"Please, I want you to be understanding. I did not mean to react that way. It was just that it was so surprising and I don't take surprises too well.", I explained to him, frowning at the memory, "She seemed so straight and everything, it just came out of nowhere", I shrugged.

"But I was willing to continue living with her. There were a lot of communication problems and it became really awkward for her to live around me. It was her decision to move out - I never forced her out", I explained.

"Ohkay....", he said taking in the whole story and gulping down the tea with an effort, "But you know what, I can't take this tea anymore. It's beyond unbearable", he put the mug on the table between us in the living room.

"I'm sorry, I just don't drink coffee or anything with caffeine", I apologized.

"Ah, that's fine for now", he said looking around the living area.

"So when do you plan to move in?".

"Tomorrow...if that's alright by you?"

"Yeah no problem, your room is empty, waiting to be filled with things. But in case you have anything you'd like to keep outside your room, we should have a discussion about that".

"Woah, I haven't moved in yet, and you start making rules!" he said amused.

"What? Roommates must have rules", I argued. When he said nothing I went on " None of us are allowed to enter each others' rooms. And we should share the commons" when he raised an eyebrow I explained "The commons are the bathroom, kitchen and living room".

"Fine, fine. I already have a feeling that living with you will be difficult.", he said getting up.

"You're perhaps the first person I've met who openly insults others", I sighed frustrated. Other than the fact that he'll save me a lot of cash, this guy was getting on my nerves.

He walked to the door and said "I'm coming in the morning. Please be up by then".

"You don't have to worry about that. I'm an early bird".

" Okay, guess I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Definitely", and on a second thought I added " And bring your own coffee, I'm not buying that piece of shit"

"Yeah, I'll never forget that. And don't insult my coffee, I don't like it" he said and turned and walked to the elevator.

He'll pass to be an ass.

Later I called Debby and told her how things went and even told her how pissed I still was because he thought my surname was funny.

"Chill, Sam. It's just something you have to dismiss" she said laughing, "But it's odd how Ryan came up with that, he usually never jokes"

"He doesn't joke alright. He insults pretty well"

***********************************************************************************************