"i was so sick of those assholes from figure eight that i lost my shit" he continues. india stares at him as he continues to walk to the officer and pope. 

she doesn't notice when kiara puts an arm around her as she sees what's going on. 

jj looks at pope, chuckling. "i can't let you take the blame for something i did. you've got too much to lose" 

"jj what are you doing?" pope talks back, his tone serious. 

jj looks at the officer "i'm tellin' the truth. for once in my goddamn life, i'm gonna tell the truth" he calls out, his voice rising as he looks around. he points at heyward.

"i took his old man's boat, too" he pitches in after a moment. 

"what the hell?" heyward says, looking at the blond boy in anger. 

"jj, come on" pope pressures, not wanting jj to take the blame for something he hadn't done. 

"just shut up pope!" jj snaps, turning to him. his face gleams with sweat. "just shut up" he turns to the officer "he's a good kid. you know where i'm from." 

"yeah" the officer nods, staring at the boy. 

"it was all me" jj takes the blame.

india watches the scene in front of her, not believing what is happening. she stares at her boyfriend pleadingly, begging for him to turn her way, but he never does. 

"that's the whole truth?" the officer asks, turning to pope. pope stays silent, debating what to say. 

"whole truth, swear to god" jj responds. the officer turns to him. 

"i know what you think, damn it, i'm asking pope" the officer snaps. 

there's a moment of silence, and india watches as jj nods to pope, urging him to tell the officer that it wasn't pope who had done it, but jj. 

pope nods. it makes india's heart break. 

"yeah, that about covers it" he mutters. 

the officer takes off pope's handcuffs before snapping them onto jj. 

it's then that jj turns to india. his heart breaks at the sight of her. the girl's eyes are filled with tears, and she looks so small as she hangs on to kiara for comfort. 

"i'm sorry" he mouths at her before the officer pushes him inside the police car. 

india watches silently as the car pulls away and drives off. when the car is no longer in sight india turns to kiara, hugging her tightly as she cries. 

jj watches her girlfriend from inside the van. it makes him want to cry as he sees her like that, small and vulnerable, but he knows that what he did was good. 

pope had everything to lose. jj had nothing. 

another thing on his track record wasn't going to change a thing. 

___

india didn't know what she was doing when she ran to her house. the only thing she knew was that she needed to see jj. 

she had hopped into her car and sped her way through town and the cut just to get to jj's house, hoping that they had already released him by the time she got there. 

the girl stopped the car a few houses down, not wanting to draw attention. 

she walked down the front yard silently, looking around at the overgrown weeds and pieces of junk laid around.