Chapter 1

-- 1 month later --

The alarm clock was blaring. It was almost too loud. Due to my natural instincts, I got up and might've attempted to smash the alarm clock. I was going to sleep in, but my fears of having another nightmare of the fire was just too much of a risk. 

        After I was ready, I walked towards the mirror and immediately noticed the scar. The scar never reminded me of anything happy. I always try to hide my scar by putting on my snapback cap. It's never really changed anything. Just the way people look at me.

        My mom goes to work and my dad stays home. Luckily, he makes good food. I made my way downstairs and the first sound I heard was, "Good morning Avery!" I struggled to put on a smile as I replied, "Hey dad." I silently walked to the table and began to eat my cereal.

        As I was eating, my dad turned around and noticed what I was wearing. "You know, Avery, you don't have to wear that hat inside." "I know dad", I silently replied. I finished eating the bowl and walked towards the door. It wasn't a school day and I decided I wanted some time alone, so I walked across the neighbourhood to the park near my house.

        I wasn't feeling like going on the slides, so I went on the swings instead. I wasn't doing any hardcore swinging. It was gentle. And from there, I had another flashback, a flashback of my old school.

-- Flashback --

        I was in music class, talking to my best friend, Diana. As I looked at the instruments, I quietly said, "If there was a fire, we would all probably die." "Stop being so pessimistic, Avery. Even if there was a fire, you wouldn't die, cause I'd use my magical powers to save you." "Nooooo, you wouldn't save me cause I'd save you first. You should know at least that much, Diana." Diana just looked at me and laughed.

-- End of flashback --

        That was one of my only memories of Diana. There I was, on the swings, as I started to silently weep. The swings stopped moving. It felt as if time stopped as well. That one fire changed my life forever, I wish I could do something about it. Even if it would just save Diana.

        As I tried to fight my feelings, I heard a voice. "Hey, you don't look alright." I slowly look up and see a face. It looked... familar. It was a boy who was clearly way too close to me. I was shocked and I fell off the swings. That hurt, a lot. After that, all I heard was a loud laugh. 

       "Ouch." I said as I tried to hide the pain. "Well, sorry." I looked up again to clearly see his face. It was Hayden.

-- Flashback --

        A few weeks ago, we were having a soccer match at school. If I remember, the team captains were Hayden, Matthew and Adam. Matthew chose Lucy, Adam chose Ada and Hayden, he chose me.

        Adam laughed and told Hayden, "Why'd you choose a skinny wimp like Avery? She's useless, you'll never win the soccer game with her around." "I'll take her anyway", Hayden responded. "Ooooooooooooooo." "Shut up, Adam." It just turns out we won the soccer match. Soon after, we became good friends.

-- End of flashback --

        Hayden had his arm out. "Are you going to get up or not?" I reached my arm out and Hayden picked me up. I smiled and said, "It's nice seeing you here, but I've got to go in a bit." "Same here." "But you just came here!" "Actually, I was around for about 10 minutes. It's too bad you never noticed." "Oh."

        "Well, bye then. See you around", I said. I slowly walked out of the park with my hands in my pocket. I was heading home.

        I need to know what went into my forehead and caused that scar. It could've been the material on the walls or the roof, but what if it was something else?