--Part 1: An Important Question--

Moominmama was outside, tending to her garden, of course. As she usually does on lazy, summer afternoons. She had been quietly finishing up her squash, when the picket gate swung open. Snufkin stepped into the garden.

    With his usual formality, he smiled at Moominmama, and turned to close the hinge.

    "Hello, Snufkin!" Welcomed Mama with a grin.

    Snufkin echoed, "Good afternoon, Mama." He made his way towards the squash. "It's a lovely day for them isn't it?"

    "Yes, they're doing quite well. After last night's rain, a full day of sunshine is just what they need!"

    Snufkin nodded. "Now, you wouldn't need help with weeding them would you?"

    "I don't think very much weeding needs to be done," she admitted. "Although, I do need some help collecting the gourds. Could you fetch me a basket? I believe I have one in the kitchen."

    "Of course," Snufkin replied.

    He tread across the garden obediently. Eventually, he found himself at the gate, and quickly vanished behind it. He had only been gone for a matter of seconds before he returned. Basket in hand, he valiantly pushed the gate open, leaving it ajar.

    "Thank you, dear," Moominmama called.

    Holding the vintage wicker basket in his arm, Snufkin carefully set the gate back in place. He replied, "it's no worry." She beamed at him as he bestowed to her the pannier.

    For a little while they carried on, diligent in not letting a single squash go un-picked. Both were so caught up in their work, that several minutes had passed before Moominmama realized they hadn't said a word.

    "Oh my," she gasped. "It's been a frightfully long time spent in silence. I truly appreciate the help, Snufkin."

    He gave her a warm smile. "I'm glad I could be of assistance."

    Moominmama tittered. "As always, so humble." She noticed a slight shift in his mannerisms. Something was troubling Snufkin. He wasn't usually so silent. "Is something on your mind, dear?" She asked.

    Snufkin hasted with answering for a few moments. This was enough to worry Moominmama. Perhaps, she wondered, she had asked a difficult question. "As a matter of fact," Snufkin uttered, "there is something I wished to ask you."

    Moominmama became stern. "Oh, dear. It sounds quite serious."

    "Yes, it is."

    Mama halted her gourd picking. Mimicking her, Snufkin paused as well.

    "Snufkin," Mama asserted, "if anything's the matter, know that you can always confide in me."

    He nodded. "Thank you, Mama."

    "Well then? What's the matter, dear?"

    Snufkin sighed, "it's very important to me and quite serious for you. It's confidential. Only you and Moominpapa can know."

    "Me and Moominpapa?" repeated Moominmama, alarmed.

    "Yes," Snufkin confirmed.

    She shook her head, "Oh, dear, then it might be better to wait."

    Snufkin's eyes furrowed, "wait?"

    "Moominpapa's not at home," Mama sighed. "He's gone away on some adventure, reuniting with old friends. He won't be back for a few more days."