goodmorning

Here they were again, an early Saturday morning.

It had been exactly five months since the engagement, and approaching three months since the wedding. It was a swift engagement, neither of them wanting to wait any longer. There were two separate celebrations; one was a size-able party with all their family and, most importantly, their friends, the other being an extremely private religious ceremony. It was important to Dan that they had it, and whatever was important to Dan was important to Kyle.

Kyle laid on his right side facing Dan with his head propped up against his hand. Dan was on his back but had his head facing Kyle. Neither of them said much. They only exchanged glances and thoughtful touch.

Eventually Kyle initiated a change in position as he sat halfway up with his back against the pillows and pulled Dan with him. With Dan's back against Kyle's chest he relaxed and let his head fall back. Kyle instinctively began running his hand through his hair.

Dan let his fingers wander down to Kyle's hand that rested on his abdomen. He played with the ring on his husband's left hand, twisting it in gentle and endless circles. Their rings were an expensive gold set with a trim on the outer edge, but the real meaning was on the inside. On the inner face was a message engraved in a tiny print. The engraving was in a different language, but that didn't matter.

Dan's eyes soon began to grow heavy. By the time Kyle had noticed his soft breathing and his hand rested still on top of his, Dan was fast asleep. Kyle listened to the chirping of the resident cardinals that lived outside their window and watched his dreaming lover's face for a while before growing tired himself. The heat of Dan's body pressed flush against his was intoxicating, and soon he followed in action.

Kyle was awakened only an hour later by the shuffling of Dan trying to climb out of his grip. Kyle took his hand and pulled him back in.

"I should get up." Dan said softly, now face to face with Kyle.

"But it's Saturday."

"So much for keeping the covenant then?" Dan joked, Kyle laughed.

Kyle wrapped an arm around Dan's body, bracing him as he flipped the both of them. With Kyle now on top the mood seemed to change.

"You are my covenant." Kyle whispered.

And so it was.

                                                                        אני לדודי ודודי לי

Ani L'Dodi V'Dodi Li

I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine.