Chapter 1 - First Day Back

*Katniss POV*

My eyes slowly start to flutter open, only to be slammed shut again by the bright light streaming through my open curtains which Prim just opened.

"Ugh Primmm" I groaned at my little sister who just smiled innocently as she ran over to my bed and started the rip the covers out of my hands.

Today is my first day as a senior back at high school after the summer holidays. I am going to have to get used to getting up this early very quickly. "Just five more minutes" I whined.

"Nope, you've had long enough already" she said and started to smirk evilly "and guess who will be back from Alaska?" she grinned.

My eyes shot open. Peeta. I haven't seen him in too long because his family went away for a two week holiday to Alaska to see his grandparents and I missed him so much. We have been best friends since we were 5 years old and I may secretly have just a tiny crush on him, well maybe a bit more than a tiny crush.

I've had feelings for him ever since we were 11 years old but the only people that I've told are Prim and Annie. "ugh fine" I say trying to hide the fact that seeing him is the main reason I want to get up right now, hoping she doesn't see right through me.

"I knew that would work" she giggled to herself as she left my room to get ready. I'm really starting to regret telling her about Peeta. I mean I love her and all but she can honestly be the most annoying person I know when she wants to be.

I get out of my bed, putting the covers back neatly before I get ready. I go into the bathroom, turn on the shower and step in, letting the warm water soak over my body. I grab my favourite coconut scented shampoo and quickly wash my hair and body before jumping out and wrapping a towel around my body so I can go and choose an outfit.

As it is still warm in Florida as it's still early September right now I decide to wear my denim high waisted shorts, and a sheer green flowery top with my green flats and I grab a jumper just in case.

I pick up my makeup bag and choose to only put on a bit of mascara and some clear lip gloss on my lips cause I've never really been much of a girly girl with lots of makeup and dresses.

Once I'm ready I run down the stairs to the kitchen and find Prim making some breakfast for both of us. "Where's mom, isn't she supposed to be doing this?" I ask her.

"She's in bed still" she answers. I sigh, this always happens. Mom still hasn't gotten over our father's death in a car crash with me and Prim when I was only 11 and always zones out all the time, leaving me to look after both me and Prim.

"Sit down, I'll do the rest" I say to Prim, walking over to the fridge.

"Oh no I'm fine, I don't want to have to eat your 'delicious' food" she says sarcastically "And if I remember right I think last time that happened you nearly burnt the house down!" she says.

"Haha Prim, you're so hilarious!" I reply sarcastically while slumping down on the bar stool behind the counter as Prim puts the food in front of me. "Eat quickly cause we have to leave in 15 minutes okay?" I say quickly eating all my food.

"Okay Kat"

*15 minutes later*

"Okay are you ready little duck?" I say to Prim as we leave the house.

"Yep, let's go" she replies as she gets into the passenger's seat. I turn on the engine and drive towards Prim's school, HG Middle School which is right next to my school, HG High School.

"Have a good day little duck, you can walk home right?" I ask her as I pull into her school car park and she gets out the car.

"Yeah, I'm not a baby anymore Kat I can walk home" She says laughing

"Okay well bye Prim" I say and she says it back before turning away and walking to her friends. I start the car again and drive round to my school car park and find my space. No one parks in this car space because everyone knows that someone from the Victors always parks here.

I get out the car and walk over to the front of the school and see the person I've waited too long to see waiting by the door as usual. His golden blonde hair styled like always and his clear blue eyes slowly look around and meet with mine.

"PEETA!"