Chapter One

I don't own the rights to these characters! J.K Rowling does.

I've written fanfiction before, but this time I wanted to make one of the minor characters MY main characters! It's set in Luna's fifth year so that means Harry, Ron and Hermione are in their sixth year. It'll be a slightly different twist on the romance that is in the sixth book...Well actually it's completely different. Read, comment and vote! And most of all enjoy!!

                                                                   *****************************

The last strand of blonde hair was pulled back into place and the French plait was tied with a black band. Luna Lovegood smoothed down her robes, sitting on the edge of her four-poster bed. Grabbing her bag, she began to fill it with everything she’d need for her first day back at Hogwarts, books, quills parchment and so on. A wisp of hair fell in front of her face, but she ignored it. Once that was finished, she took a deep breath, her silvery grey eyes staring straight ahead.

“You ready Luna?” Ginny’s impatient voice asked from the doorway. Luna shook herself from her daydream, glancing at her friend.

“Almost, but you go right ahead. I’ll catch you up.” Luna told her in a dreamy voice, a small smile on her lips. Ginny nodded and left, eager to get down to breakfast.

Once she was out of sight, Luna reached across and took a locket from her bedside draw. “Good morning mum,” She whispered, before slipping it over her head and tucking it behind her robes. Picking up her prefect badge, she pinned it to her front. Now she was ready to go down to breakfast.

It wasn’t long before she was skipping along the hallway, humming a gentle tune under her breath. A copy of the Quibbler stuck out of her bag and her radishes swung merrily from her ears. As she rounded the corner, she almost ran straight into three others hurrying towards the Great Hall.

“Luna!” Hermione smiled, hugging her briefly, which Luna returned happily.

“Oh, hello Hermione. It’s nice to see you. Hello Ronald and Harry.” She said, smiling cheerily at them.

“Nice holiday Luna?” Ron asked, as they walked as a group towards the Hall.

“Oh yes thank you. Me and daddy went to Canada this year. We went to visit a family friend who knows an awful lot about Crumple-Horned Snorkacks and we even got to see some photos. Of course they weren’t the best, but that doesn’t matter.”

She didn’t catch the glances that passed between the others.

“Sounds brilliant Luna,” Harry said with a half smile.

When they reached the Great Hall Luna gave them a parting wave before making her way down the aisle to find a place. She sat alone, pulling out the Quibbler and buttering toast with her wand. Her attention was on the Quibbler and she didn’t even notice Professor Flitwick until he coughed. Startled, she looked up, dropping the magazine on the table. “Oh hello sir.”

“Miss Lovegood, your timetable. And congratulations of becoming Ravenclaw’s prefect, which was a well reasoned decision.” He put down her timetable in front of her and hurried along the line.

“Double potions. That’s a killer.” Harry’s voice sounded over her shoulder.

“Oh, I don’t mind. As long as Snape doesn’t pick on me.” Luna told him, looking up at him with a smile. Harry sat down beside her, grabbing a piece of toast himself.

“You looked lonely. I thought I’d come and join you.” He told her after swallowing his mouthful.

“That’s nice of you Harry. Thank you. Did you have a nice holiday?” She put her magazine away.

“The same old thing really. Nothing special.”

“You should come away with me and daddy sometime Harry. I think you’d enjoy it. Anyway, I should be getting to lessons.” She told him, getting to her feet, she put her bag over her shoulder. “I’ll see you around Harry.” Luna skipped down the aisle and out of the Hall, with Harry watching her go.

****

“She looks so lonely over there.” Harry said to Hermione, rather than Ron who was too engrossed in his food. Hermione looked up from the letter she was reading and frowned.

“She does. Maybe we should call her over here. I don’t think anyone would mind.” Hermione said, chewing her bottom lip. “I hate to see her sat there alone.”

“Yeah, me too.” Harry muttered, absent-mindedly. In fact he had noticed last year that Luna spent most of her time alone and he didn’t understand why. She was one of the nicest people he had ever met and she was a lot of fun when you got to know her. But everyone felt she was too weird to hang around with. It was only Ginny that had taken a like to her. “I’ll go over.” He volunteered, glancing at Hermione, who looked surprised. “What? I just want to make sure she’s alright!” It was said slightly defensively and Hermione raised an eyebrow, smirking. Before anymore could be said, he got to his feet and joined the Ravenclaw table.

Looking over her shoulder, he scanned her timetable, before saying, “Double potions. That’s a killer.”

“Oh, I don’t mind. As long as Snape doesn’t pick on me.” Harry had to stop his gasp as she turned to look at him. Strands of blonde hair fell across her pale face; her cheeks flushed a gentle pink. Grey eyes sparkled under full eyelashes. He had never seen Luna Lovegood look so beautiful. Quickly he sat down, averting his eyes. What was with him? She was his friend! A close friend at that! To hide his embarrassment he took a piece of toast.

“You looked lonely. I thought I’d come and join you.” The mouthful was forced down a dry throat.

“That’s nice of you Harry. Thank you. Did you have a nice holiday?” He watched her carefully through his hair as she put her magazine away.

“The same old thing really. Nothing special.” Why did his voice sound weird? Luna didn’t seem to notice…

“You should come away with me and daddy sometime Harry. I think you’d enjoy it. Anyway, I should be getting to lessons.” Harry broke his gaze and nodded, swallowing the last of his toast. “I’ll see you around Harry.” With those departing words, she left him sat there staring after her with wide eyes…