Chapter Fifteen - Family

Magsimula sa umpisa

Kal was reading a book on the couch when she heard Carol's heavy footsteps as she entered the room.

"We are going to train, we need you out there so get up" Carol said abruptly.

"Nice to see you too Danvers, how have you been?"

"Fine, now suit up and meet me outside in ten minutes"

Kal rolled her eyes and trugged off to her room, there was no point in arguing with Carol she was as stubborn as a mule and it would be nice to punch something. Kal dressed in her suit, boots and gloves but left her weapons behind, she didn't trust herself to not stab Carol if she got cocky.

She met Carol in the middle of the large field while the rest of the team watched from safely inside the compound.

"No powers, just strength" Kal said tentatively.

"Don't worry, I'm not going to hurt you" Carol said cocking her head to the side.

Kal rolled her eyes and braced herself for Carol's attack knowing she likely wouldn't hold back much if at all. Carol ran at Kal swinging her fist in wide, sweeping punch which Kal easily avoided it, Carol was predictable relying on her superior strength not concerned about technique. Kal dropped down sweeping Carol's legs out from underneath her causing her to fall on her back, Carol got up quickly and Kal could tell she was annoyed. They quickly locked in a close contact fight mostly blocking each other's strikes, Kal made a little space with a push kick to Carol's chest making her stagger back a few feet then spun striking the side of Carol's head with a wheel kick. Carol hit the ground hard, now she was mad rising to her feet with her fists glowing she sent a photon blast right at Kal without thinking. Kal could have blocked the blast but didn't, when it hit her it causing she to take a step back but she steadied herself easily and absorbed the energy and before Carol could react Kal threw a ball of energy at her causing her to fly back about thirty feet, she landed with a hard thud on her front.

"I think it's safe to say you're ready for the field Kal!" Carol hollered causing Kal to laugh.

Later that night Kal snuck away from everyone and made her way up onto the roof, they were all set to leave for the Hamptons the next morning and she knew she wouldn't have much time alone until they returned. She put down a blanket and laid down looking up that the stars above and hoped that Bucky was up there some where watching over her.

"Bucky, I love you so much and I would give anything to see you again. I would lay down my life to hold your face in my hand one last time. I wish I hadn't been so afraid to tell you how I felt sooner, I wish we had more time. I am sorry that I was not stronger, that I couldn't protect you"

Kal hugged herself tightly and wept silently.

"I miss you Buck and not a day goes by that I do not miss you, but I am also doing my best to go on with life. Everyone keeps telling me that is what you would want and I try to listen, but I am not ready to let you go baby"

The next morning Kal was packing the last of her things when Nat stepped into her room.

"Hey Kal, the jet's ready and we are ready to head out" Nat said before turning to leave.

"Wait Nat" Kal called stopping her "I want to be an Avenger"

"It's about time" Nat smiled out of the corner of her mouth.

It was the big day, as bridesmaids Nat and Kal were getting ready in Pepper's Bridal Suite with her, make-up artists and hairstylists buzzed about the room while the women sipped champagne. Pepper looked stunning and statuesque in her satin mermaid fit gown and long veil. Nat and Kal wore light mocha colored, long, strapless chiffon dresses with their hair in a low up-do and simple jewelry.