--

"The queen is here to see you, Your Majesty."

As the door was opened, Mary exhaled and raised her chin.

Lifting her skirts carefully, she stepped into the room. While keeping her posture straight and proud, she curtseyed.

"Your Majesty," she greeted her husband.

The door closed softly behind her, but she kept her eyes on James as it shut. He had hastily veiled the surprise in his eyes, and got to his feet.

"Mary," he said quietly. "To what do I owe the honor of your visit?"

"I seek your permission to go to Bath, sire."

Irritation flashed across James' countenance, but he just as quickly dashed it out.

"My physician believes taking the waters will be of some use to me," Mary explained, before his anger could grow. "To us."

She let the words hang in the air between them; let the meaning settle on her husband. His expression softened, and then he crossed the floor.

"Mary," he said again, more gently this time.

Though she had gone still, she allowed James to take her hand.

"James, may I speak freely?" She spoke as evenly as she could.

"Yes."

"The physician believes there are two interventions necessary for us to have a child," Mary said quietly. "One medicinal, and one miraculous." She paused, knowing that she could not speak openly enough to anger James. "That is - for God to bless us with a child, He must find us worthy."

James clenched his teeth together. A muscle in his jaw jumped. Finally, his countenance relaxed again. A new light had entered his eyes.

"Then you must go," he said after a moment. "And, as I have some business in the country, I will escort you."

Something in her faltered. Yet Mary endeavored not to show it on her face - not to show James any hint of weakness that he might use against her. If she allowed herself to hope, it would surely not be rewarded.

Still... as she scrutinized him, it was impossible not to think there might be a chance... They were quite alone, and he had dropped his use of the royal we; he spoke to her as a man, not a king. He spoke to her as a husband to a wife - for the first time in at least a fortnight.

For that time, and much longer, she had encouraged her heart to form a protective and impenetrable barrier of ice around itself. And that coldness, the will to push away and not expose any vulnerability, whispered: Tell him it is not necessary. You do not need him.

And surely she did not need him, for she had gotten along without him quite long enough - even for the majority of years that they had been married.

But this was not only about some childish desire to be appeased and petted, to be loved. Their marriage must be restored. There must be a reason to believe that a male heir to the Stuart throne was at least possible.

"That is a most gracious offer, sire," she managed, inclining her head to him in gratitude and acceptance. It was easier to speak in such a way - not showing what was in her soaring thoughts. Before her more frigid side spoke out I can hardly refuse the king, she bit her tongue. Such a statement would only have made him cold to her.

True, he would not stay with her the entire time in Bath, but he would at least escort her on the way there, and presumably on the way home. He would be away from London - and away from the duchess.

Almost furtively, James reached for her hand. Mary accepted it. Something passed between them. It was warm and palpable. Though James did not say the words she most longed to hear, and she expected that she never would, it was, at least, a start.

"I had hoped to leave as soon as possible," she said carefully. The sooner they could leave this town, and the sooner James left Catherine Sedley, the better. Besides that, if Sarah conceived a child, James must have grounds for believing, in nine months, that the newborn baby Mary held was his.

"Then we shall go as soon as the arrangements can be made," James agreed.

He bent over her hand and pressed a kiss to it. For a moment, while he could not see it, she closed her eyes, overcome. She thanked God for His mercies.

--

On that Sabbath day, her last Sunday in London for the present time, Sarah hurried once more to St. James'. Though the queen had not moved back into the palace, Sarah was in eager expectation that she would do so, if events in Bath went well. That, however, would require a lot of prayer.

In the meantime, as she hoped to be reunited with Philip in the coming months, she dreaded the prospect of a few weeks without him. She was bracing herself for how best to tell Philip. Yet when they met in the launderers' room at St. James', he swept her off her feet and twirled her in a circle.

"My little wife, off to Bath!," he said, setting her down on her feet again as her head spun.

"Hush!" Sarah scolded, afraid of who might overhear her called wife, even though the title still thrilled her. She steadied herself, holding his arms, and searched his gaze. "You already know?"

"My love, the whole palace knows! And milord found it such a splendid idea that he has decided to go to Bath on account of his gout!"

Philip leaned in to kiss her, and Sarah was almost too stunned to respond. She gripped his arms a bit more tightly.

"Do you mean to say you'll be in Bath, too?" His words had been plain enough, but it seemed too wonderful to believe.

"A wedding-trip - for two servants like us," Philip said with a grin. "Can you imagine it?"

Sarah blushed. "How shall we find each other?" It seemed improbable that their employers would lodge together, for even though Philip was valet to a duke, she was maid to a queen.

"I'm certain Her Majesty could arrange a rendezvous if she so chooses," Philip said, settling his hands on her waist and drawing her closer.

Though Sarah could hardly ask for such a thing, she considered. "I suppose she will not need me all day. After all, I am hardly a worthy companion." More likely, the queen would have a lady of rank with her; that would be more suitable.

Philip's smile grew at the prospect of spending more time with his wife. Gently, he drew her closer. "You are certainly a worthy enough companion for me."