Chapter 25: Spring Festival III

Start from the beginning

And so his…

Ye Xiu stood blankly in front of the internet cafe. His thoughts were hidden within the cloud of smoke that he puffed to calm his turbulent heart.

He was fighting with his rationality and emotion. Should I stop? Should I let go of these feelings?

But how? It already became an addiction. She was now his morphine. It started with a simple fancy until it unknowingly developed into something  incomprehensible……an obsession.

He knew that somewhere, somehow, he should let go. Because sometimes, letting go is less painful than holding on.

But it’s an obsession…

If it was that easy to let go, then it’s not an obsession.

Ye Xiu once again puffed a mushroom of smoke. The night was cold and he was not wearing any coat to ease the biting sensation hitting his skin as the freezing winter wind blew passed him.  But strangely, his heart was colder than the surrounding.

Amidst the coldness, a sudden warmth enveloped him from behind.

He stilled as the cigarette between his fingers fell without him noticing. He was surprise and bewildered.

“A’Xiu…” The sweet voice resonated as her warm breath cause an itchiness behind him.

“A’Xiu?” Ye Xiu murmured, still not moving an inch, as if his brain had short-circuited.

He would never fail to identify the owner of that voice. But she…she called him A’Xiu and this was the first time. Ye-ge or Xiu-ge, a brother was all he was to her. Li Chunhua never called him by that, she never called him intimately.

He knew she was drunk and it might not mean anything. But her embrace…her warmth, it ignited something in him. Like a dim light in his now hopeless world.

Ye Xiu turned around and faced the girl. He looked down at her, his lashes casting light shadows onto his pale cheeks.

Li Chunhua was still hugging him. She looked up to meet his eyes with her own blurry eyes that was still wet with what he think was tears. Her glistening eyes that were reflecting the moonlight was akin to a silvery river in a peaceful night, immediately softening his cold heart.

Why was she crying? And why was she looking at him as if he was all that she can see?

“Don’t look at me like that.” Ye Xiu said helplessly.

“Huh?” Li Chunhua knitted her brows, not understanding what he meant.

“If you look at me like that, I might misunderstand…” His tone was different. Not like the one he uses when flirting with her. He was serious and frustrated.

“You?” Li Chunhua squinted her eyes, trying her best to comprehend what the guy was saying. She was tipsy and she wasn’t brave enough to assume things.

Ye Xiu sighed. His shouldered slacked in defeat, “When will you get it?”

He held the girl’s face, leaning his forehead against hers as he decided to take the risk once again. No, more like confessing to her for the last time. Tsk, she might not even remember this tomorrow.

“I really couldn’t understand why you never believed me even though I’m making it so obvious.”

His eyes not leaving hers as his thumb caressed her face, cleaning the residue of the tears she had shed earlier.

“Chunhua ah Chunhua, you’re really the death of me…”

She couldn’t utter a word, for every word that came out from his lips made her heart beat faster. Faster and faster as if it’s drowning her as the hope within her heart blossoms without stopping.