01 | Number 12 Grimmauld Place

Start from the beginning

“Witchcraft,” Evie finished.

“Yes, though the only possible event I can think of is someone apparated the entire house with them but that would’ve left the space empty. The ground wouldn’t have disappeared along with it. Perhaps some protection charm has been used then.”

“Why would someone put a protection charm on a house that no one visits?” Evie pondered, “Does that mean someone else is using the—”

“Why don’t we just portal in?” Draco demanded, looking at Tristan, who continued to stare at the lamplight, mesmerised.

Tristan looked at them dazed when Aurora poked him. “Can you portal us in?” Aurora asked.

“Portal you where?” he slurred a little.

The entire group stared at him confused before Draco lost his patience. “Inside 12 Grimmauld Place! Your paternal grandparents’ house. Where else?”

Tristan squinted, thinking hard as if in a daze, “Didn’t Eugene say there was some protection spell of sorts around the house? I’m not sure I can portal past a charm strong enough to vanish the entire house.”

Tracy and Draco simultaneously rolled their eyes at his statement. Draco smirked, “You portaled past the vault door in Gringotts, Tristan. Who knows how many spells are put on each vault. I don’t think you should doubt yourself when it comes to portalling through some silly illusion charms.”

Aurora smiled, “Ah, the Gringotts incident. Thank Merlin, that goblin was as old and blind as he was because if he had noticed you teleporting into the vault without the use of a key, all of us would have been banned from that place forever.”

They snorted at the memory. Those were better times. Those were times when they didn’t have to run around in fear that someone would recognize them for the reputation they made after the Triwizard Tournament.

Tristan shrugged before nodding as he prepared his hands to open a doorway. A pregnant pause ensued as they waited for his signature blue sparks before he replied, confused, “I can't portal in. I don’t remember the inside. I need to be able visualise my surroundings. That’s exactly why we portalled outside in the first place. I still don’t remember.”

“What do you mean you can’t remember?” Draco exploded.

“Because the Fidelius charm has been used.”

Eugene didn’t have to look around at them to know that the rest of the group were staring at him with blank and confused.

“It makes complete sense,” he turned to face them, getting excited by the second. “A Fidelius charm would vanish the entire place, along with memories of ever being there.”

“I can’t imagine how any of that makes sense to you.”

Eugene sighed, “Fidelius charms conceal objects or places using a Secret Keeper who puts the charm on. Only people told by the Secret Keeper can locate and enter the place. Even people who have been to the place before cannot remember the location unless the Keeper tells them anew.”

“But we remember the place,” Aurora interjected, “and we remember the location.”

“No. None of us do. We couldn’t even remember where it was. We were supposed to portal directly inside but we didn’t ‘cause Tristan didn’t know what the interior looks like. Because we have forgotten. Tristan couldn’t even portal directly outside since he couldn’t visualise the street either. We had to portal to Claremont Square, in the middle of the park, cause we’ve walked through here a dozen more times without this house in mind.”