Chapter 10 Turning Point

Start from the beginning

Aoi: "What do you mean?"

Haruna: "You know of Fifth Sector, right?"

Aoi: "Yes, it's the place that manages Japan's soccer."

Haruna: "Yes. But they don't just manage it. Fifth Sector also decides the soccer for each game and notifies each school via a score order whether they win or lose."

Shinsuke: "They decide scores?"

Tenma: "Why would they do that?"

Haruna: "To protect order." 

Aoi: "Order?"

Haruna: "A school's merit in these times is based on how strong their soccer is. If it's weak, the school isn't even worth looking into. That's why Fifth Sector sends out score orders, so that merit can be fairly divided between schools."

Tenma: "Fairly?"

Haruna: "As long as you obey their orders, you'll receive a winning game that'll allow you to adjust your school's reputation."

Aoi: "That means..."

Midori: "Everything's fixed!"

Haruna: "...Yes. That's why only a portion of those connected to soccer know about this. This is the reality behind soccer nowadays."

It can't be helped. We need to balance the merit. Just go through a little pain and you'll fix everything. Even if there are schools out there who are overly confident, there are people in the world who care about those schools. In the end, Fifth Sector just wants to protect that.

Tenma: "That's wrong."

!

Tenma: "Having scores set from the very beginning... That's not soccer!"

Shindou: "What would you know?!"

Everyone turned to Shindou.

Shindou: "What would you know about how we feel playing soccer? About how Sangoku-san feels having to let those shoots go in? Do you know how that feels?! We want to play too! If we could, we'd go all out playing the soccer we love! But if we oppose Fifth Sector, we'll get soccer taken away from us! That's why we...!"

Shindou started walking away.

Kirino: "Shindou!"

I watched as Shindou walked off somewhere. I put my hand on my chest.

What is this feeling? I don't like it. But...

I look back at Tenma.

"What's he going to do now?"

Kakuma: Both teams are in position! The second half will soon begin! The point difference is 2-0 with Eito Academy's lead! Will Raimon end up losing or catching up using their spirits of tenacity?!

Tenma's face looked unreadable.

Kakuma: The second half starts with Eito Academy's kickoff!

"He's... just standing there?"

Tenma was standing where he was, while everyone else on the team was moving.

Kakuma: As Eito Academy attacks, Raimon defends! A fierce clash breaks out only minutes into the second half! Has Raimon gathered themselves together during half-time? An even game continues as they move as one mind! Here comes the other team's challenge! Will Matsukaze be able to stop him?

Shinsuke: "Tenma!"

But Tenma didn't move and got tackled down to the ground.

Kakuma: He's gotten past Matsukaze!

Yukiji: "Perfect Course!"

Sangoku: "Burning Catch! ..."

Kakuma: Goal! Eito Academy takes another point! The difference has increased by three!

Shinsuke: "Sangoku-senpai..."

Tenma: "This is wrong."

!

Tenma: "This is wrong!"

Something's going to happen...

I took out my bracelet and press the record button.

Kakuma: The score is 3-0! Will Raimon catch up?! The ball get suddenly stolen from Raimon! Their huge lead spurs on Eito Academy to keep pushing them back! Will Raimon end up losing?!

Tenma: "This isn't soccer! It's making soccer cry!"

Tsurugi and Shindou: !

Kakuma: Matsukaze steals the ball!

Tenma: "Captain!"

Kakuma: He passes to Shindou! But it goes too far!

Tenma: "I'll get it this time!"

Kakuma: Matsukaze goes to steal the ball again! 

Kakizaki: "You think someone like you can steal from me? Yukiji!"

Kakuma: He uses his own body to block it!

Tenma: "Captain!"

Kakuma: This time his pass falls short!

From then on, Tenma kept getting the way of the passes and taking the ball.

Kakuma: What incredible spirit! He uses his entire body to steal back the ball! And Matsukaze continues passing the ball to Shindou!

Then Shinsuke joined him!

Tenma: "Shinsuke!"

Shinsuke: "Tenma!"

The two made eye-contact and nodded.

Tenma: "Captain!"

Shindou finally the ball and.... shot it to Eito's goal!

Everyone: !

Kageura: "Moonsault Stamp! Ugh!"

Kakuma: Goal! Raimon finally wrestles one point from Eito Academy! But the game is over! Raimon's counterattack has to end here! At the score of 3-1, it's Eito Academy's victory!