Chapter 29: Nightmares

Start from the beginning

It was like this before. When it first happened, the nightmares were consistent for weeks on end. Nothing could cure them. Over time, they ceased the more I tried to suppress the memories. But then there were some nights that became too much, much like a night like this. It would happen specifically around that time when it all happened, and when it did, sleep was not apart of my schedule for a few weeks. It was horrific and draining.

Putting the lid back on the pen, my eyes met Chase's adorable sleepy face dozing away with his sweet dreams. He seemed so peaceful. It would be nice to not have these nightmares. But nothing could make them quickly disappear. It'll either die down eventually on its own or it may get worse for neglecting and putting it far down in my mind. Unfortunately that happens.

I got back to the cot, laying down and staring blankly at the ceiling in front of my vision. With a loud sigh, there was nothing left for me to do except be alone in my thoughts just like the other nights have been. After the nightmares I refused to go back to sleep in fear of seeing my father being devoured by the lion and the unicorn.

Hours had passed until sunrise. Alas, another night with lack of proper sleep. So not only am I having irregular nights of sleep, my eating habits haven't gotten any better either. It was becoming more clear the more it was dwelled upon. To say that it scared me would be an over exaggeration. It should be. It should terrify me. But it didn't. For some reason, it didn't bother me in the slightest. Thinking possibly that this could be a good thing, that maybe it would make me healthier and smaller and prettier, but it wasn't true. I felt like I was slowly killing myself. My body was craving for food, hungry for something warm and satisfying.

I hadn't even realized it was becoming a lifestyle. It wasn't. This could end badly very quickly if nothing was done soon, but my body wasn't responsive anymore. It was is it was repulsed by the mere thought of it sliding down my throat. But I was tired. Tired of feeling weak, and hungry, tired. But there was that feeling deeply inside that was like a pit. A scary, dark pit of loneliness.

And I was afraid. Afraid of being alone forever. That everyone I knew was going to leave me. My father has, my mother fell away, Bunny doesn't even like me I don't think, and no one really supported me. If given the chance, would Alistair leave me too? I know he's my absolute best friend, but even they get tired of me eventually. They all do. Everyone already has. It was only a matter of time before Chase does the same. Maybe I really only had myself after all. I was convinced.

The light turned on. My head slightly shifted over to see that Chase had turned on his lamp on his nightstand. A cracking of knuckles popped indicating that he was very much awake. Quickly, I turned over to my side on the cot so he couldn't see I was awake either. There was no indication of what time it was in the morning, but there was a feeling he wouldn't be going back to bed either.

There was a shuffling of feet across the floor and a click of a door opening and closing, signaling he was most likely in the bathroom. I heard water turning on, leaving me alone in my thoughts once again. There wasn't another moment of thought until he had emerged from the bathroom, a trail of steam following from behind him that I felt against my skin. Another door opened and shut before it was opened again.

He was quiet. Much like the other morning of when I was awfully awake from my nightmare. He always wakes up, takes a shower and puts some clean clothes on before going downstairs to bring us both some breakfast that I would hardly touch. In fact, it was so when he left the room and returned back not even twenty minutes later with something smelling absolutely mouth watering.

"Iz, I brought breakfast. Wake up and come eat." I heard Chase whisper closely behind me. I pretended that I was just waking up to turn over and face him. His grin turns immediately into a frown, his eyebrows furrowing deeply to draw his concern fur me. "Are you okay? You don't look too good. What's wrong?"