two

i was bored and high as hell when i wrote this but here you go!

when i woke up the next morning, ace was knocked out in his bed. i snuck past his room and into the kitchen. he left some change on one of the counters for me as he did every day. i then quietly snuck out of the front door.

it was only the early afternoon, but i assumed blue point would be open. i walked my usual block to the diner humming a connie francis tune. the diner had just opened so i didn't see anyone inside aside from the waitresses.

i sat in my usual seat on the colored side of the diner. it was the only side that maybelle could be on. i hated segregation, but i could not change the way people thought. i wasn't well respected, anyways.

"hello there, miss y/n!" maybelle, my favorite waitress, approached me. she had a thick southern accent and a loud, hearty voice. "hi, miss maybelle."

"starting with the usual, i'm guessin'?" she asked and i nodded.

miss maybelle, as i called her, was a black woman from georgia. i had no idea why she would've moved to oregon but i'm glad she did. she was the only person who truly understood me. it's why i went in every day.

i waited patiently for maybelle to bring me my food. i watched the people pass the window. cars passed. music played. the world bored me.

i heard someone else enter. we locked eyes immediately.

"hey, y/n." chris smiled at me. i sat in silence for a second, then waved him over. he sat across from me.

"hi, chris." i said.