19. The Lovely Lily Evans

Start from the beginning

I sigh.

"Fine, I'll go." I give in. "But don't expect much."

"Right on!"

~*~

I meet James where he asks me to, but he's a little bit late, so I'm leaning against the wall wondering if I have enough time for a dart when he comes walking down the hall.

"Sorry, Sirius needed me." He says with a smile.

"Everything cool?" I ask and he nods.

"Ace, let's go."

We step into the room and I'm greeted by the mass amounts of decorations, and the students dressed in white with trays. One passes by us and James grabs the our d'oeuvre from it. I make a face because I'm not sure what he's picked out and I'm pretty sure he doesn't either because he takes one smell and places it on a chair, tucking it into the table.

Professor Slughorn walks up to us with a drink in one hand.

"Ah, Mr. Potter, how are you?" He comes up and shakes James' hand.

"Brilliant Professor, yourself?" He says and Slughorn responds before turning to me.

"And you're Mr. Potter's date?" He asks and I accept his outstretched hand.

"Desdemona Castellanos." I assume he forgets that I was in his class years one through five.

"I don't believe you're in my N.E.W.T class."

"Oh, no, Sir." I shake my head. "I'm afraid I'm not too good at Potions."

"No matter, what is it that you'd like to do then? After school, of course."

"A translator, Sir." I straighten up slightly.

"Marvellous!" He raises his glass as if to make a toast. "Many incredible languages."

I nod my head, not knowing what else to say, but luckily I don't have to when he goes,

"Lovely, lovely, if you'll excuse me." And he walks off.

James links my arm with his and pulls me away, mumbling a 'now that that's out of the way' as we head over to two people with turned backs. I only recognize one, but upon the realization of who it is, I know who I'm about to be introduced to, and I panic at my lack of preparedness.

"Remus, Evans, fancy seeing you here!"

The two turn towards us, the redhead with an instant look of bored displeasure at the sight of James, and I don't have time to say anything to either of them when she speaks.

"Potter, I see you've settled for a quick shag?" She says, glaring at him.

My eyes widen immensely and my mouth is now frozen in my almost greeting. James just smiles.

"Evans, I'd like you to meet Desdemona, Remus' friend."

At the mention of my name her face pales, then just as quickly is replaced with a blush so strong it rivals the colour of her hair.

"Oh, my Godric!" She cries. "I'm so sorry!"

Still shocked in my place, I can't help but giggle at her and my muscles relax now that I don't have to worry about making a good impression. Nothing can top that.

"I take it that's Gryffindor courage." I joke and James manages to snicker while Remus takes a sip of his drink to not laugh at Evans' expense. "Lovely to meet you."

Her hands fly to her face as she cradles it in embarrassment.

"Remus has told me a lot about you." She says and lets her hands drop to her sides, revealing a guilty pout. "I reckon I should go die now."