3. Have thick skin. Be prepared for criticism to arrive in your inbox, ranging from constructive feedback to harsh, blunt, and rude comments. I’ve received all types of comments on my stories, and one that still haunts me today because the words were so cruel; there was nothing constructive in that feedback. Authors need tough, strong minds and the ability to handle the painful punches before they find success. Stephen King received 30 rejections from publishers for Carrie. 

Q. Do you think awards such as The Winter Rose Awards are still relevant?

Absolutely! The Winter Rose Awards is one of the most reputable awards on Wattpad so having that in my writer’s CV is like winning gold. It’s an honor that I am proud of, because it helped me gain confidence. When I wrote Love Fool, I wasn’t sure if any reader would favor my style of writing. The Winter Rose Awards played a big role in helping me develop and fine-tune my voice as a writer.

The feedback I received from my judge bcpratt was valuable—I’m still editing Love Fool, taking in the constructive comments and suggestions, which I found useful. 

Q

Q. What key details should potential writers pay attention to before publishing a story?

The story needs a good plot, characters with depth (make them imperfectly interesting), and places that are easy to visualize. Use the five senses when describing the story and cut down on the backstory. Use words to stimulate the readers’ mind. They want to see “a tear rolling down her reddened cheek”, not “she was sad.” Avoid excessive words; this can put the reader off from continuing a story. Finally, make sure your work is proofread and edited. 

Q. How important is having a social media handle for a writer?

Oh gosh, this is a little embarrassing for me! I’ve learned that digital media, including social media (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook) is important to be noticed as a writer these days. Prior to being accepted by my publisher, Black Velvet Seductions, I had a weak social media presence. I had less than 100 Twitter followers about one month ago; it’s around the 600 mark today and still growing. I discovered that Twitter is a great hangout for writers, editors, publishers, agents, avid readers, book bloggers, and reviewers—the publishing industry. Wattpad has a strong social media profile.  

Having a social media presence is part of my brand identity as an author. It helps me connect, share, and network with others in the industry. I strongly recommend anyone who wants a writing career to build their social media; work with Instagram, Facebook and Twitter as the main three social platforms outside Wattpad. 

Q. Any advice for this year's participants?

Work with your own unique style and trust your voice. Make sure the first few chapters hook the reader with good dialogue and vivid descriptions that are succinct. Have confidence in your writing, and most importantly, have fun!