All of a sudden, Ron was pulled down from his box by Lavender, her arms wrapping around him as she pulled him to her lips, the Gryffindors bursting into cheers.

Lori felt Hermione slip out of the Common Room, quickly threading through the crowd and following her down a secluded set of stairs, Harry right behind her.

Birds twittered above her head as they sat either side of her. She sighed, wiping away a few tears, "Charms spell. I'm just practicing."

Lori smiled, examining the birds, "Well, they're really good."

"How does it feel, Harry?" Hermione looked to her other side, "When you see Dean with Ginny?"

Harry stammered slightly, Hermione sobbing as Lori muttered, "We know. We see the way you look at her."

"You're my best friend." Hermione nodded in agreement through a thin coating of tears.

Lavender and Ron came giggling around the corner, their hands linked as Lavender sang in an annoying voice, "Oops. I think this room is taken."

She ran off, Ron staying behind and looking at Hermione, "What's with the birds?"

"Oppugno." Hermione said as she climbed to her feet. The birds circled her head, before flying at full speed towards Ron, disappearing into a shower of yellow feathers when he dodged them.

Lori pulled Hermione back down to the step when her brother left, hugging her and placing a hand on her knee, Hermione leaning her head in the crook of her neck.

"It feels like this."

*

Cedric was waiting for her a corridor away from the party, wearing a set of black dress robes and a smile when she rounded the corner. He ran towards her, picking her up and spinning her around before setting her gently on the ground.

"You look handsome." Lori smiled, placing her arms around the back of his neck and pressing a kiss to his cheek.

"You look beautiful." he replied, quirking his brow, "But I think you missed there, love."

With a joking roll of the eyes, she connected their lips, the pair of them moving in unison before a small cough made them break apart.

"Hi, Harry, Luna," Cedric smiled at them, moving to shake both of their hands politely.

"Your head is full of Wrackspurts." Luna commented, her eyes wide in amazement as they followed invisible beings that flitted above his head, "You're like a magnet!"

Lori smiled at the Ravenclaw as both of the boys offered their dates an arm, the four of them joining the lavish party. Golden drapes hung from the ceiling, waiters in smart uniforms offering drinks to everyone.

Slughorn waved her over after finishing a conversation with an elderly witch, "Ah, Miss Weasley! Who's this?"

"Cedric Diggory, sir." he smiled, shaking Slughorn's hand, "I was a student at this school until last year."

Realisation crept on the Potion Master's face, "Joint winner of the Triwizard Tournament with Mr Potter, if I'm not mistaken? What are you doing now?"

"I'm working in the Ministry," Cedric smiled after taking a sip from his goblet, "in the Department of International Magical Cooperation."

Slughorn was about to reply, before Filch created a scene by dragging in Malfoy by the back his jacket.

"Take your hands off me, you filthy Squib!"

Filch half growled at him, "Professor Slughorn, sir. I just discovered this boy lurking in an upstairs corridor. He claims to have been invited to your party."

Malfoy yelled, "Okay, okay, I was gate crashing. Happy?"

Filch released him as Snape moved over, "I'll escort him out."

"Certainly, professor."

Slughorn cheered jovially and raised his glass, "All right, everyone, carry on, carry on."

The party swung back into life, Cedric politely dismissing himself and his girlfriend, leading her over to the dance floor. His hands found her waist as she linked hers around his neck, the pair of then swaying on the spot.

"He seems nice." Cedric looked down at Lori as he spoke.

"He's a character, that's for sure." she replied, before lowering her tone, "Dumbledore asked me and Harry to get close to him, said there was something he needed."

He nodded in thought, his thumbs stroking against her hips, "Just as long as you're safe."

"You worry too much."

"It's only because I'm so in love with you."

Lori blushed as Cedric twirled her under his arm, "I'm still not used to you saying that. But, I promise, I'm being as safe as I can."

"Good," he kissed her on the cheek, "because I'm gonna be saying it for a while yet."

They slowly emerged onto the veranda, the cool, night air a thankful refresher from the heat of the party. Both of them leant on the stone balcony, looking out at the inky black, the stars twinkling above them.