Chapter One

A/N: Hi! Hopefully you like the story and if you have any advice or constructive criticism please feel free to share, as this is my first time writing fanfiction, so there is bound to be many mistakes. Enjoy reading! :)
-
The sun slowly leaks into the large wooden chambers Clarke finds herself in, allowing warmth to seep into the previously cold and dark room, as well as diminishing the chill that had persistently followed her for hours. The emerging light signalled the beginning of another day of politics, debate and conveyed threats directed her way as well as towards her people, the same threats that had emerged ever since her arrival in Polis.

It had been foolishly optimistic of Clarke to hope that her new title of 'Wanheda' would produce a marginal amount of respect or gratitude from the grounders, and perhaps even remove the distinct desire for many of the clans to declare outright war on Skaikru. Instead, each day Clarke tirelessly aimed to protect her people and ensure that they were included amongst Lexa's alliance, this was the sole purpose for her continued stay in the capital, and what had prevented her returning to her friends, her mother, and though she tried to deny it, most importantly Bellamy.
She mechanically rose from the array of furs spread across the bed that Lexa had graciously provided for her, trying to shake away the memory of leaving Bellamy three months ago, she had reasoned to herself then that she needed time to heal and grieve, away from the accusatory, disgusted and fearful eyes that had been directed towards her after she had irradiated Mount Weather.

What she hadn't planned on was travelling to Polis in order to exact revenge on the Commander who had forced her hand by retreating, then later taking up the role of Skaikru Ambassador. Clarke wasn't even sure that she could call herself an Ambassador after having been removed from the affairs of her people for three months, though Lexa was adamant that the only reason the clans, particularly Azgeda, hadn't declared war on Skaikru, was because Clarke's presence placed her people under the Commander's protection, however, that did little to stop the remnant tension and accompanied threats.

Clarke tried to stem the tidal wave of anxiousness and uncertainty regarding her people's safety by focusing on something as simple and systematic as dressing herself, the dark blue hues that cascaded across the fabric of what she was about to wear, stirred a deep-seated longing of hers to capture the colour and paint it. She quickly shook her head, now was not the time to undertake something so trivial as painting, instead she promptly adorned the grounder attire and braided her hair, aiming to appear as similar to the people around her as possible.

As Clarke finishes fastening a small dagger to her side, strapping it tightly, she sets her shoulders and masks her face into an appearance of confidence and self-assurance, attempting to present herself as a worthy ambassador to the Commander, and worthy of the title of 'Wanheda', before leaving her quarters to stride down the long corridor that would lead to the throne room.

She had initially been disorientated by the great number of alleys, corridors, entrances and walkways that rose to an unimaginable height in the centre building of Polis, though now she had a sense of familiarity and almost comfort in the knowledge that she could find her way to the majority of areas within the construction. The seemingly endless walls pass by her, only registering within her peripheral vision as she approaches Lexa's throne room, however, Clarke pauses prior to entering, standing before the two engraved oak doors to listen to the raised agitated voices that floated out from the chamber.

Previously, she would have had no idea as to what was being said, but Clarke was becoming increasingly fluent in trigedasleng, and could almost be called a fluent speaker, if not for a few inaccuracies that would present themselves in her speech. As a result, she could clearly distinguish that the incensed shouting was primarily targeted at herself and Skaikru.