━━━ 04. if something's wrong, leave it be

Start from the beginning

He was using my tactic against him, which was to keep saying it was nothing until the other person gave up because it was clear that the truth wasn't going to come out. I see why he's usually pissed when I do it.

Occasionally, I would glance over at him to see him either with his head in his hands or his pen in his hand to pretend he was taking notes. He didn't feel like talking much today and I didn't want to push him into it, even as Lu spoke to me during lunch about a double date.

It was supposed to be just Ander and Guzman hanging out, but Lu explained to me how him and Nadia were getting close again and she just couldn't sit back and watch it happen..again. I tried to tell Ander the idea, but he disappeared sometime after first period.

"Something's wrong with Ander," I sighed, after texting him, "I haven't seen him since first."

Lu looked over at me shrugging as we walked into Chem, "He probably went to go smoke or something."

"He's been like this all week, Lu," I groaned, my eyes still glued to my phone as we took our lab costs and sat down, "It's like a switch went off in his head, now he's beginning to act-"

"Like you?" She remarked and I met her eyes, "Adriana, there was a time- or multiple when you would be distant with him and avoid his calls, texts and efforts to make you feel better. Maybe he just doesn't want to talk about it."

I looked back down at my phone, before placing it down, "Yeah, maybe you're right. And it's probably nothing really serious, unless it's about his parents or his grades-"

"Look, he's here now, so you can finally stop stressing," Lu smiled and I looked up at the door to see Ander. I gave him a wave when he met my eyes, but he quickly looked away and went to get a lab coat before sitting down across the room. I could feel Lu's smile drop at the same time my hand did, "Ouch.."

I groaned, "Whatever, just have Guzman tell him about the dinner." She only nodded, knowing that I was a little pissed. I know I have no right, but all the issues I can think of, he already tells me about, which makes me conclude to the fact that he's avoiding me for another issue I could never figure out.

After school, Lu and I got ready at her house before having to take a cab to the restaurant she suggested. "Is it bad that I already need a glass of wine?" Lu asked me and I chuckled as I touched up my lipgloss.

"You sound like my mother," I commented as I closed my compact mirror to put in my purse when we arrived at the restaurant, "Did you know that Guzman had to tell me that Ander was with him?"

She looked at me with a furrowed brow briefly before sighing as we walked inside, already seeing Ander and Guzman at a table for four, "Ana, I beg of you, don't start trouble tonight."

"I won't," I assure her, "I'll be on my best behavior."

As we got closer, their conversation got louder, "That's not funny."

"What's not funny?" Lu asked Ander, intervening into the conversation as we sat down.

"Ander quit tennis." Guzman stated, looking over at me, "Did you know?"

"Yeah, he only just quit." I hummed as Lu kissed Guzman as a greeting.

"What a pity, Ander. You were really good," Lu inputted, "You should definitely get back into sports. I'm only saying that as a favor since I'm concerned for you." Lu then looked as me when I gave her a look.

"Thanks, but no thanks." Ander turned down, crossing his arms across his chest.

I grabbed the glass of wine already on the table, sipping on it, "Did you guys order?"