Prologue

I do not own the Hunger Games :)

 All of Panem has heard the tale of Katniss Everdeen and her epic journey with Peeta Mellark through the Hunger Games. People talk of her bravery and bold rebellion against the capital for centuries after. Children grew up listening to their parents talk about the games. The horror and the blood shed, the brutal and cruel twists of the Quarter Quell, and of course the legendary victors of the districts. Johanna Mason, Beetee, Finnick Odair and his wife Annie, and Haymitch Abernathy.

The events of the 74th Hunger Games changed the course of human history and led them down a new path. Katniss Everdeen died a hero and a beloved national icon in her home at District Twelve at the age of 75. Her husband Peeta followed just 4 years later, and they left their two children to mourn quietly. Finnick and Rue Mellark, both named after dearly departed friends of their parents. Finnick had been told of his name sake throughout his life and was proud to bear the name in his honor. Rue however, was never told of her namesake, the only information she ever received from her father being; don't ask your mother.

It was about a week after Peeta's death that Rue and Finnick had decided to clean out their childhood home in Victor's Village. Finnick had brought his small car to take any possessions they'd want to keep back into the main town. The siblings had started in the kitchen and slowly made their way up to their parents bedroom, taking some objects, storing others, and preparing a few to be sold.

" I think we're done Rue," Finnick said, wiping his brow with the back of his hand. Rue tucked some of her dark hair behind her ear and nodded. " I think I'll stay a bit longer, tell Rosa I said hello," Rue mumbled from her spot in the center of the bedroom. Finnick gave her a quick hug before walking outside to the car. When she finally heard the car drive away, Rue turned back to the room and sighed gently. Walking over to her mother's old dresser, Rue quickly grabbed a small key hidden well under a pile of old shirts.

She stared at it, examining it closely. All her life, she had been waiting to see what this key would bring her. Her mother had always had it around her neck on a chain and after she died, her father was careful to hide it. Rue had only known it was there because her father had not been as careful the last time he hid the key, for Rue had been in the doorway. " Only one thing left to do," she whispered to herself, " Find out what this unlocks."

Rue had a few places in her mind as she started to find this key's home. A locked drawer in the living room, nope. The small cabinet under the stair, didn't even budge. A small chest kept in the attic, failed. Rue sighed in frustration, glaring at the key in her hand. She was about to give up and throw the key away when one place came to her mind. A place her and her brother had never been allowed in, a place always kept under close eye when they had been outside as children. The shed.

Rue practically ran downstairs and out the back door to the shed. It still stood tall, ivy crawling up the sides and doors firmly locked shut. Rue held her breath as she slid the key into place, twisting it to the right. With a gentle click, the door opened and Rue stared in wonder as she saw dozens of boxes neatly sacked. Her grip on the handle fell as she walked in slowly.

Opening one box, she saw dozens of paintings sacked closely together. They were separated by pieces of soft paper to help keep them intact. Rue took one in her hand and gently pulled it out, blowing off a thin layer of dust. Her eyes widened as she saw it. It was her mother, laying in a pool of blood on the bottom of a cave. Rue dropped the painting in alarm, quickly grabbing another from the box. This one was of a girl arranging knives in her jacket. She looked deadly and dangerous. Rue swallowed hard and set this one down next to her mother.

" What are these?," Rue whispered to herself, " What is this?" " The Hunger Games, your parent's first," a voice croaked behind Rue. She jumped and turned to see an older man. " It's been a few years Rue," he said gently, walking in slowly to the shed, " My name is Gale Hawthorne, an old friend of your mother." " Mr. Hawthorne? I haven't seen you since my mother's funeral..... What are you doing here?," Rue asked. " I came to pay respect to your father, he saved my life and my sibling's lives a few times," Gale said, grinning slightly, " Though I'm sad to say we never truly got along that well." Rue nodded and looked back at the paintings.