***

,,He doesn't seem to be hurt, not physically at least." the Principal Healer was telling Hermione, a deep frown on his face. ,,But my guess is that the events of today might have shaken him pretty badly. We'll just have to wait and see when he wakes up."

Hermione nodded, unable to say a word. Draco had been unconscious for a whole day and she felt restless. Harry had sent her a Patronus a few hours ago, saying that McKinley got away, but they managed to catch all the rest of the Death Eaters that came with him that day.

She was now pacing the hallway in front of Draco's ward. With all the calming draughts and strengthening potions the Healers have given her, she still felt nervous. She kept wringing her hands and felt her entire body trembling.

A soft thud came from the ward behind her and Hermione's breath caught in her throat. She hurried inside and saw Draco on the floor, struggling to get up.

,,You shouldn't be out of bed just yet." she told him, hurrying to help him onto the bed. ,,You're in shock and your body is still too weak for you to move around."

,,Leave me alone." he said under his breath.

Draco pushed her hands away, clenching his jaws tightly. He saw a flash of disappointment crossing Hermione's features and he felt a pang of pain in his heart but tried to ignore it. Instead, he placed his cold, impenetrable mask on his face, avoiding eye contact with her.

Hermione saw the transformation with an uncomfortable twitch in her heart.

,,Draco, I am sorry about your father. He..."

,,He was an evil man, Granger. No need to be sorry. I know you hated him." he said coldly.

,,I did, hate him, for a while." Hermione said simply, staring at Draco intensely.

Her simple statement made him flinch, but he tried to hide his reaction quickly.

,,Then no need to be sorry." he said under his breath.

"But after today I realized something." she continued as if he hadn't said anything. ,,Everyone is able to redeem themselves as long as they want to. He saved you Draco, that ought to have saved at least part of his soul."

,,Even the worst kind of animals protect their own offspring. The fact that he did the same doesn't make him a hero, Granger" Draco said in a disdainful tone.

,,He protected me." Hermione blurted out.

She was desperate to make him understand, to make him see that just like him, his father wasn't all he seemed to be at first glance. She wasn't happy with admitting it, but she knew she partially owed Lucius her life that day. There was something more to that story and she was determined to find out what. Why was Lucius there? Why did he seem to be involved with those Death Eaters only to keep them away from her? Those questions kept nagging at her mind, confusing her to no end. She had to find out and hoped against hope that Harry found out something helpful by interrogating the Death Eaters they'd caught.

Hermione looked up and noticed Draco staring at her. Her statement from before seemed to have aroused him from his indifference. His eyes were boring into hers, as if he was trying to see the truth there.

Seeing those grey eyes looking at her so intently, made her look away, suddenly reminded of when Lucius used Legilimency on her.

Just then, a Healer entered the room, announcing that it was time for the patient to have his treatment. Hermione nodded and scuttled away, without another glance at Draco.

After the Healer left, Draco found himself alone with his thoughts. He didn't know exactly what he felt about the whole situation. He hadn't expected Lucius to ever do something like that for him. They never loved each other after all. There was never a tender moment between them to show Draco just how much Lucius cared about him.

Maybe love doesn't always mean tender moments. Perhaps it sometimes means teaching or caring from the shadows, disguising it as firmness and exigence. After all, Lucius had thought Draco a way to survive based on principles that were past on generation after generation in the Malfoy family. It didn't matter if that way was morally wrong towards others or simply wrong in general. Lucius had brought him up the only way he knew how. He had made Draco who he was.

Draco may have been too young to understand why his father behaved like that towards him or made the choices he had made, but he understood now. It was out of fear, fear of losing his loved ones, his family, their home and past.

All this meant he was capable of showing the same love towards someone, right? He was able to show the same restrain in feelings and emotions his father had showed. He now had to keep his love in the shadows in order to protect the one he loved.

Thank you all for reading this story! No cliffhanger this time but stay tuned to find out what happens. McKinley is not finished with them just yet ;)