Welcomes

Hey guys it’s been a bit heavy with lovely Henry and Amelia so this chapter’s a little more light-hearted. This does not mean there’s any less craziness though, so keep reading!

Thanks for all your lovely comments and votes by the way, they brighten my otherwise boring as hell day.

Amelia had the urge to laugh like a complete lunatic.

She had always been acutely aware of Henry’s many trysts, but to have the embodiment of them standing smiling before her in the flesh was surreal. She knew she should dislike and distance herself from the little boy in front of her but she could not bring herself to hate a child. After all, this new development could not do any more harm to their relationship than they had done themselves.

“You are truly wicked in your enjoyment of this situation Thomas” she scolded if only to break the silence that had suddenly descended.

“My lady, you cannot blame me for enjoying the fact that my cousin reveals his lecherous ways to you without a finger lifted on my part” he smirked and Amelia sighed in frustration.

“What is the name of the lady…present” she asked and attempted to ignore his smug raising of the eyebrow in response. Thomas really could be infuriating, yet she knew he would not lie to her.

“Rosemary de Winter is no lady madam!” he chuckled “Well, technically she is. I always found her slightly fast for my tastes, but she managed to sufficiently bewitch Henry. Then again, that much is obvious.”

“At least pretend to be slightly decent Lord Townsend,” she muttered before turning her attentions to the circumstances unfolding. Henry had turned around to face them now and Amelia could fully see the resemblance to his son. Her stomach turned at the thought that she would not be the only woman ever to give her husband children.

“How old is the boy?” she asked Thomas as they were ushered into the foyer of the castle.

It was as grand as the outside with coloured woven tapestries covering each of the walls. They detailed Varsteel’s many triumphs as a kingdom and were revered throughout the land for the expert craftsmanship they demonstrated. Amelia had no time for them however; Henry had not so much as glanced at her since their arrival.

“My lady for someone feigning indifference at meeting the bastard son of your husband, you are asking many questions.”

“Do not use that word, I abhor it.” She snapped reproachfully “It is not the fault of children that they are born out of wedlock. If anything the slur should be directed towards their parents.”

Thomas seemed to find her sudden anger amusing as he fought the urge to smile.

“I never thought you to have such a compassionate heart Amelia…”

“-Lady Townsend.” Thomas’ use of her Christian name was a privilege she intended to revoke.

“Indeed Amelia. As I was saying…you surprise me with your concern. Are you particularly fond of children?”

“I am my lord.”

Thomas took in her answer with a grin. Before she could escape he wrapped an arm around her waist and drew her to his side, before leaning in to whisper in her ear.

   “Then I shall give you a dozen.”

Amelia blushed furiously and pushed him off her, ashamed by the shivers that had run down her spine in response to his breath on her neck. She looked hurriedly around to ensure no one had noticed the exchange.